Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Just when you thought it was safe to head out in your boat...


They're back!  The dreaded dredge.  It has moved into the section of canal that is northwest of us... oh, you can't get there directly from our place, but it is the same canal.  And it looks like they will, indeed, be running the dredge pipe down our section of canal.

Of course, because the weather weasels are predicting absolutely beautiful weather for the the near term.

We had some running to do, but when we got home, I asked Joan if she wanted to do a sunset cruise on the boat... "No, I have stuff to do here - you go."

OK.

Looking down our canal as I pulled away from our dock, you can see the beginnings of the dredge pipe being moved back in...




Well over a year into a 6 month project - and when you think they are done blocking your way in and out... nope.  There was just enough room for me to get out without having to cross one of their pipes.  That is because they haven't hooked up the pipes that will be running right past our dock.

I asked two of the workers if they were going to block me in... "Habla usted Espanol?"  I didn't want to waste time - it was already getting close to 4:00, and I was hoping to make the 4:00 bridge opening to head across the Laguna Madre (my "once around the island" route).

Only one bird posing on my way out the last canal...


Heading east towards the bridge, I saw this on the hard at South Point Marina...


A Ranger Tug - with a "for sale" sign in the window and Washington State registration numbers.  I know that routing - this boat is a long ways from home.  No idea who it belongs to.

Heading towards the bridge, I gave them a call on the VHF radio...


No response.  I kept heading towards the bridge, photographing these pelicans along the way...


Another call to the bridge.  No response.  I gave a long blast on the horn... I think I woke him up - he came on the radio and said, "I'm getting it open right now!"  Timing is everything - I have seen them refuse to open the bridge if you are two minutes after the hour with your call.

Looking back to the west...



There is a University of Texs facility just past the bridge.  We have seen these lately?  Any idea what it is?


If you said, "Artificial reef," you get 100 bonus points.  Through the bridge and into the Laguna Madre - beautiful blue water today...



Looking to the northwest towards Port Isabel, you can see the lighthouse...


That is scaffolding around the lighthouse... part of a 4 month restoration project that is closing in on a year now.  Sound familiar?  Welcome to the land of mañana.

I turned south, heading towards the ship channel... and what do I see in the ship channel?


A ship.  Heading out.  I heard them talking with the Pilot Boat...



Large ships coming and going from the Port of Brownsville are required to have a Pilot onboard.  This is a master captain with the local knowledge necessary to help guide the ship through that 18 mile long, narrow channel.  He is put onboard the ship from a Pilot boat (above), then guides that ship's crew to the port.  Same thing on departure, where once clear of the ship channel, the Pilot moves from the ship back to one of the Pilot boats.  Via a ladder.  While both are moving.  In port areas like this, the Pilots are at the top of the captain food chain.

Interesting to watch...


Also heading out, this shrimper...


Who passed by me a lot closer than necessary.  Fortunately, while moving out of his path, I saw some dorsal fins along the side of the channel.  I slowed down, grabbed my camera, and...



OK, my work here is done!  Well, I was heading back towards home.


Moving west in the ship channel, I had the dolphins to myself... until a couple excursion boats saw what I was seeing.  I gave them plenty of room.



I scooted along, wanting to get to our canal before dark - in case the dredge pipes are across the canal.  With no lights on them.  In the dark.

Looking back over my shoulder, I saw this coming up the ship channel...


Mexican Naval vessel.  Not a regular occurence.

Getting close to sunset...


In the warm light, an osprey on a daymark...


Making the last turn from the PI turning basin, heading towards our canals...


Making the turn into our canal, I held my breath... they have pipe floating down about halfway in this section of canal; they left me enough room to get by.  Today.  I am sure that will change tomorrow.


No comments: