Sunday, November 26, 2017

Paperwork...


No, this is not going to be about toilet paper.  Although, paper on a big roll like that would be handy.  It is time to renew my captain's license.  Five years worth of logs to get the sea time.  I'll have to get a physical and a drug test (pee in the container).  I shouldn't have to go through another TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) background check, since they have that on file.  Same with fingerprints.  Of course, this is the government, so that is subject to change on a whim.

The process to renew isn't as extensive as getting the original license, where you have to give personal and mariner references, and wait for those to come back.  Still, it is a bunch of paperwork and expense... not sure if I'll be using the license again.  But, if you don't renew on time, you have to start over from the beginning, including taking all the tests again, either through a school or going to a Maritime Center (closest one is in Houston).

The medical exam has more than doubled in price since my last renewal (what healthcare hasn't?), along with the pee test.  At least this time I know I don't have to stay up all night to study for the pee test.  (rimshot)

Pages and pages of paperwork.


No comments: