Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Mele Kalikimaka...


If you said, "Bing Crosby (and the Andrews Sisters), 1950," you are probably older than I am.  If you said, "Jimmy Buffett, 1996," that's more like it.  No bonus points, but I would suggest a holiday margarita before day's end.

There was some discussion on the carbon fiber guitar forum where I participate about Christmas songs.  I play a few - I mentioned that I learned Mele Kalikimaka yesterday.  The discussion morphed towards ukuleles.  Someone said, "You should play that song on a uke."

I mentioned, "I have a uke... somewhere around here."

This morning, Joan got it out.  Oh, I could have gotten it out, but it was behind some other stuff and there would have been a melee of stuff strewn about.  That's melee, not Mele.  But, I digress.  I haven't had that uke out in years...


If you look close, there is a Hawiian print throw behind me on the chair.  Not just for this song, it's always there.  I quit wearing Hawaiian print shirts when that became "a thing;" not giving up the throw, though.  Sometimes I miss the annual trips we used to make to Hawaii, back when we lived in the frozen northland, but I really resent what commercial flying has become.  Yep, digressing again.  Back to the uke: it was horribly out of tune.  I truly couldn't remember what note for each string, so I had to refer to that sheet beside me on the arm of the chair.  Quickly in tune, I remembered that I couldn't remember a single chord.  Back to that sheet.

I played Mele Kalikimaka, then threw in Over the Rainbow.  By that time, the pointy edge of the uke was cutting into my forearm.  I have really gotten spoiled by how comfortable my Emerald guitars are!  I don't think I'll be making the uke a regular part of my repertoire.

After lunch out (Texas has some fine BBQ, by the way), we took a drive by the beach.  Like yesterday, beautiful water.  Not a lot of people out there, but we enjoyed one guy kite surfing on a foil.  And, just taking it all in...



Back home, the real reason I post...



Yeah, she's so darn cute.  Sweet, too.  What?  That reminds you of me?  I was thinking that, too, but didn't want to bring it up... since you did: yes, I agree.

And let me be the first to wish you: Mele Kalikimaka!

-------------

On edit:  "That Izzy is so photogenic!  Does she pose like that all the time?"

She used to.  Some days...


;-)


No comments: