Wednesday, February 10, 2021

A Change Is Gonna Come...

 

If you said, "Sam Cooke, 1964," you get 50 bonus points.

This is very different from the meaning of that song: the massive cold front that is impacting much of the country will be making its way to the Tropical Tip over the next few days.  Rain predicted for the next 8 days, with temperatures in the 40s for a high on Monday, a low in the 30s.

Yes, I know this isn't what the rest of the country is getting; it is still 30º colder than normal, so it is an impact for those of us here.  And, inland, where our motorhome is stored, it may get into the 20s on Monday night.

We left water in the fresh water tank, as our "escape pod" after our last use.  We don't want to run heat while the coach is in the storage unit, so we made a trip out there today to dump the fresh water tank and the water lines.




 

Joan swept out the storage unit while I dumped the water heater.  The coach is ready to make it through the cold that is coming.

You wouldn't know there's a change coming - it was 80º while we were out at the storage unit.

Back home, and time to get a ride in, since there won't be any scooting for the next week or so.

--------

Loud Pipes Save... What?

A neighbor at the end of our street rides a Harley; it's a nice one, a Road Glide.  It isn't quiet.  When I took the Vespa out this afternoon, Jack (the neighbor) had just ridden past our place as I was starting up the Vespa.  I saw that he turned in towards the building where our mailboxes are.  I turned in behind him and pulled up next to his bike... "You damn kids on your loud motor-sickles are annoying those of us with more refined tastes in bikes."

I was wearing a full-face helmet and saw the glare in his eyes as he started to get off his bike.  "Easy there big fella, it's me: Jim, your neighbor."  The glare went away and he started to laugh.  We visited for a while.

He was telling me about a friend of his who has a Vespa... he said, "He's a big guy, about 350 pounds.  He told me his Vespa will go 80 miles per hour and get 80 miles per gallow.  He asked me what my bike gets... I told him, 'Laid.'"

I laughed and said, "I'll have to go with you on that 'cause Joan doesn't let me date... but chicks did the Vespa."  Yes, guy talk.  Doesn't matter how old we get, we're still juvenile.

He went to check mail, I took off for a ride.  Coming back across the causeway, I had perfect timing: went through the stoplight as it turned yellow, which means no wait to get across the other side of Hwy 100.  If you get stopped at that light, it means that you will also get stopped at the light to cross the highway, and it's a long wait there.  I was thinking, "I should go buy a lottery ticket."  Six blocks later as I came up on the swing bridge to get onto our island, the gate stopping traffic was just closing to allow a boat to pass... I guess I will take a pass on that lottery ticket.  ;-)

While I waited for the bridge, I took a couple photos of this good-looking Vespa...




I was feeling the need to get a ride in today.  That crappy weather is coming and it will be around for the next week or so...


Looks like it is going to be a while before I'll be riding again.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would trade our temps with you if you're interested! Single digits for the highs and negative digit for the lows thru this weekend here in Missouri (miseri)...brrrr!
I enjoy reading your blog every day!