Monday, February 15, 2021

Make it stop...

 

When I got up this morning, it was 23º.  That is lower than I've ever seen here.  Add in the howling wind, and our "feels like" temperature is 8º.  Single freakin' digit.  

 


The rain and drizzle stopped overnight.  No idea what the roads are like (and there's nothing I need to go outside for); when we opened the blinds this morning, there is ice on top of the table cover we have over the patio furniture.  Joan put a couple bricks on top of that cover to keep it from puffing up and getting ripped in the wind.  We put down a couple of our hurricane shutters on the windward side of the house.  The furnace is running, the electric fireplace is on, and I have a blanket over my lap.  Joan is in the kitchen, making muffins for breakfast.  The power stayed on overnight.  TXDOT is recommending no travel due to potential ice on the roads.

I don't think I'll go for a bicycle ride this morning.  Rufus is laying on my blanket, on my feet.  It may have been a three-dog-night, but it seems to be a one-big-furry-cat morning.

Joan is planning ahead: people in the village are reporting no water (likely frozen water lines - we let a faucet trickle overnight) and power outages in the area.  Joan ran water into pans and has a tea kettle going on the stove... just in case.

---------

We aren't going outside, but life goes on.  This morning, I played some music while Rufus got brushed...


It cracks me up that Rufus lets Joan hold him by the face like that with no fussing.  I showed that photo to Steph; she said, "She used that same approach when she brushed my hair, too!  JK"  You can throw
JK" in there, but you're still in trouble.  Then she said something about me being an instigator.  That's a big word; I think she meant smart.  Or cute.

Joan is making bread and frying up some chicken for a chicken-bacon-ranch sandwich for lunch.  Ruf and I retired to the music room...


2:40 pm, the sun is shining through a mostly cloudy sky.  The temperature isn't rising much: 28º according to the Weather Channel, 30º according to our weather station on our deck.  The Weather Channel is now predicting 36º as an overnight low... I sure hope so... we still have water trickling.

Just saw on the local news station: yep, this broke historical records for the low temperatures all over the Valley, including here.  So, that's fun.  Not.



 

2 comments:

Bob said...

There are two private weather stations on your side of the bridge to Port Isabel, both show 31/31 degrees right now (2:31 PST) - now that is cold. Some of the local weather stations stalled out a dawn and shoed zero degrees for an hour or two. Stay inside!!!!Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yep, it's cold. It was never down to 0º - the lowest we saw was 23º with winds blowing 20 to 30, gusting higher. Did I mention: cold?? The Laguna Madre Water District is having water pressure problems, combined with frozen pipes all over. This ain't pretty. But, the power has stayed on at our place, and we're warm(ish). We've both exercised inside - only went outside to check on the water pipes under the house (all good so far). It helps to put a big furry cat on you lap. ;-)