Friday, February 12, 2021

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

 

If you said, "Baby, It's Cold Outside is a popular song written by Frank Loesser in 1944 and introduced to the public in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. While the lyrics make no mention of a holiday, it is popularly regarded as a Christmas song owing to its winter theme. The song was released in eight recordings in 1949 and has been covered numerous times since," you used Google and get NO bonus points. 

If you said, "How's the weather in the Tropical Tip this morning?" you can bite me.  Oh, it isn't the bitter below zero that the northern states are getting, but it is damn cold for us.  It was 40º when I got up this morning, with a "feels like" temperature of 30º.  Yes, we do generally get one cold spell like this each winter, but we are usually in Arizona... where the nights are almost always cold in the winter.

Probably wouldn't feel as cold, but with the wind and thunderstorms overnight, it was inevitable that our power was going to go out.  It did.  Around 3:30.  I'm guessing at the time because I couldn't see anything but darkness.  The ceiling fans stopped.  I plugged in our electric blanket last night, and the gentle glow from each controller (yes, we had them turned on) went dark.  Rufus came up from his cozy spot at the foot of the bed and said, "Dad!  It's dark in here.  I don't think it's supposed to be this dark."

"Yes, Ruf, the power is out.  It's OK."

"But, Dad, the bed isn't warm anymore, and it's really, really dark in here.  Should we wake up Mom?  She'll know what to do."

"No, just snuggle in and I'll keep you warm."

"But, it's really dark and that ain't right."

"Shhhhh - go back to sleep."

He snuggled in by Joan; apparently, she is warmer than I am.  Plus, she slept through all the thunder, lightning, wind, and rain.  And, the really, really dark.

I laid there awake... thinking what I'd do when it's time to get up and we have no power.  No lights.  No heat.  OMG, no functioning coffee maker!  I could get the generator out, but we have no gas supply.  And, I would freeze my ass off digging around in the dark in our storage area to find stuff.  Probably better to just lay here, wide awake, and let the evil cold take me.

About 6:00am, the lights in the living room went on - they are all hooked up to Alexa, and when she loses power and comes back on, so do the lights.  The ceiling fan in the bedroom started to turn, the comforting glow of the electric blanket controller on my side lit up.  Ahhh.  If I roll over the other way, the light from the living room won't be shining in my eyes.  I heard the heat come on.  It's all good.

Still cold, windy, and rainy when I got up... and had to reset the clocks on the appliances... after getting Rufus fed.  Secure in the knowledge that the coffee maker would provide hot coffee for Joan and hot chocolate for me.

I think I'm going to need a nap.

No photos - it was dark.


No comments: