Saturday, February 6, 2021

String 'em up...

 

Not a lynch mob; a morning of guitar work today.  I took strings off the SG (the newest electric) and went to work on dressing out the frets again.  I was a bit more aggressive with it this time around, feeling confident after the previous effort.  Strung it up again, and the fret work is 98% of the way there.  If it had been like this when I got it, I wouldn't have noticed anything out of the ordinary.  So, on the next string change, I'll get that last 2%.  At this point, though, it plays nice.  I am having fun with this guitar diversion.

While I had my gear out for working on the guitar, Joan asked if I had any other guitars ready for a string change.  Well, there is always a guitar that is due for a string change.  ;-)  I recently got a set of Elixir Polywebs in a gauge lighter than what I normally use... I was thinking they'd be good on my Emerald X10.  Today is a good time to find out.

Only guitar players will appreciate this: I generally use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings.  These Polywebs are supposed to be "warmer and slicker, with less squeak."  They're also about $10 more than the Nanowebs.  I'll reserve judgement after I've had a chance to play them for a while.

 

And what about the Optiweb?  Thanks for asking; those are for electric guitars.  I have been using Ernie Ball strings on my electrics for decades... I may have to give those Optiweb strings a try.  Not sure why, but Elixir strings have been hard to find lately.


No comments: