Monday, February 1, 2021

By Request...

 

Stephanie asked if she could request a song.

"Sure."

"Have you ever heard 'Maybe I'm Amazed'?  I don't know who it's by."

I said, "Paul McCartney.  I don't know that one, but I'll learn it for you."

Joan reminded me this morning that I needed to work that song up.  Not sure what Steph was wanting... maybe just to see if I would do it.  The chords are easy enough; I had to transpose it to a different key - seems that Sir Paul and I work with a different range.  ;-)

I started out with an acoustic guitar track, then did a vocal track.  That probably would have been enough, but I decided to add an electric guitar track.  Then another.  Might as well put some bass in there.  Well, the only thing it's missing is some drums.  So, six tracks later...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/maybe-im-amazed

I did not tell her what I used to say back in the days of playing out: "If you have any requests, write them down on a twenty dollar bill and bring them on up."  Yeah, I remember live music.

Later, Joan asked if I'd run garbage and drop off something at the Post Office... "You can take your scoot."  She knows how to work me.  I took the top case off the Vespa and strapped on the garbage bag and a couple furnace filters.  Well, since I'm geared up and out, might as well take a real ride.

When we were talking this morning, Joan made the observation that we haven't been home in February in a decade or so.  I got to see what Winter Texan season looks like: I rode across the causeway and up the island - mostly Texas license plates, but a fair number of northland states represented: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.  It was cool enough today that there weren't a lot of people out walking around (only got to 61º for a high); well, until I rode on Gulf Blvd (closest to the Gulf, duh), and there were plenty of walkers and a few riding bicycles.  Because 61º still beats the heck out of the 40s in our former home in SD.  Or, snow in Iowa.

We are normally in Arizona this time of year, getting to visit with Steph and Dan and the grandkitties.  We miss them all.

 

No comments: