Tuesday, February 23, 2021

I need to rant...

 

First, the good news: our water was out this morning.  No, that's not the good news.  The resort office gave us a day's notice, so we knew the outage was coming (another broken water line).  No, that's also not the good news.  We had to run to Harlingen to get a few things.  Still not the good news.  When we got back from Harlingen, we had our Jimmy John's sandwiches that we got and had lunch out on the deck.  Nice, but not the good news.  Afterwards, Joan wanted to kick back and read, I was in dire need of some scooter time.  Even more fun, but still not the good news.  I took some 4K still photos with the Insta camera on the bike, and that module is kinda sucky.  Mostly, I just wanted to try the camera with that module; haven't done that since last summer.  I had forgotten what a painful delay there is between pressing the button on the phone to take the photo and actually getting the image.  Not bad news, just something I had farted off.  The 360 module on the camera works great, but nothing much of interest for shooting video.  Some of the stills...

 


Are you ever going to get on with the good news and the rant?  Thanks for asking.  This afternoon, we got notice that we no longer have to boil water - the testing showed the water district is good to go, all the racks are functioning.  That IS good news!

The rant: There is a movement to get Jeep to stop using the Cherokee name for a couple of its models.  That request came from the Cherokee Tribe.  Jeep has been using some form of that name for 45 years.  And now it is an issue?  There has been no use of any native American image in Jeep's use of the name.  For the record, there is a National Forest with that same name... should that be changed, as well?  Who could be offended by Jeep's use of the name Cherokee in models that have been widely praised?  We had a Grand Cherokee years ago, and it was a very nice, upscale crossover SUV.

My alma mater is Morningside College.  Their sports teams were known as The Chiefs for nearly 100 years... and then they were pressured into a name change.  The Morningside Mustangs.  I haven't bought a Morningside sweatshirt or donated a dime since that change.

We picked up a box of chicken bites at Chick-fil-A today.  "Chick"??  As in the use of the word to describe a female?  (For the record, I still think of my wife as a hot chick, but I digress.)  In checking with several groups of chickens, I have learned that they wish to be known from this point on as Poultry Americans.

And don't get me started with our stop at the Texas grocery chain HEB today.  As a proud Father to an amazing woman, I am offended by the use of the name "Papa" in Papa John's... or even worse: Papa Murphy's Pizza.  Are they even Fathers?  I know they aren't MY Father.

My ancestry is English and Irish.  Should the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame change their logo?  Frankly, not all of us of Irish descent look like leprechauns.  Nor do we all like a good fight.  I am deeply offended by that depiction.  Nah, I'm just messing with ya - we're Irish, we don't give a shit what someone thinks.  In fact, on March 17th each year, everybody wants to think they're Irish.  Read your history books: plenty of Irish people were brought to this country as indentured servants; my people worked in mines and built railroads.  And we don't give a furry rat's rear that all you people who aren't Irish pretend like you are on St. Patrick's Day.

It's time to stop all this fuss about something good (like a sports team or a vehicle) being denigrated that has proudly worn a name for decades.  And in the words of Forrest Gump: "That's all I got to say about that."

--------

Before we went to Harlingen this morning, Rufus wanted to go outside.  I figured he'd step out, sniff some grass, then want to go back inside - late afternoon is his best outdoor time.  I was wrong.  He walked along the sidewalk, out to the street, and... a couple went by, walking two dogs.  That was all he needed... even though he wasn't on his leash (really, I didn't think he'd stay out very long), he went right up to the dogs.  One was his friend, Tessa (being puppy sitted by a couple I didn't know), and the couple's small dog.  The small dog's eyes got big as this cat bigger than him got nose-to-nose with him.  Sniffing ensued.  Another guy walking his French bulldog came by.  Then, another couple walking their Yorkie.  And another neighbor walking her poodle-mix.  Yes, it was Grand Central Dog Station... and the only time he's been out not on a leash where anyone saw him.  I had to use the "treat" word to get him to head for home.

When we got back from Harlingen, he sat out on the deck with us...


We went out again this evening.  Ruf was a bit disappointed that none of his dog buddies were out.  We walked to the corner and he looked both ways; not to cross the street, but to look for dogs.  Really, usually there are dogs.  I said, "Treat?" again, and he forgot all about no dogs.  ;-)






No comments: