Thursday, February 25, 2021

Something you rarely hear a guitar player say...

 

"I think it would be fun to look for a 9 to 5 regular job."

"Did you see that cool Barbie Dream Guitar?" 

"Do you think we're playing too loud?"

While all of the above fit the title, mine is: "I have too much equipment."  My music room is starting to look like an episode of Hoarders.  OK, not really.  But, I have equipment for playing out, equipment for playing in, and equipment for recording.  I would consider moving some of it along, but... I really like it all.  All.  Today was "Re-do the Music Room Day."  I unplugged everything, with the intent of running different guitars and mics through the 12-channel mixer, into some PA equipment, and easy access for recording.

I spent about 6 hours in there working on that project.  To the untrained eye, it looks pretty similar to the way it looked before I started.  The big difference is how I ran and re-routed chords and cables.  There was a lot of playing, testing, listening, and EQ adjusting that got done in the process.  The goal is flexibility and handy access to different mics; controlling each with the mixer.

I called it a day when my fingers and voice felt worn out.  I tried to do as much as possible through headphones so Joan wouldn't have to listen to "Mic check, one, two," a couple thousand times.  Rufus did come and lay by my feet while I was playing parts of songs, making adjustments.  Some of this I have had for years; some is new this year.  All of it bought for a purpose, and now to make it all work together... as much as possible.


No comments: