Tuesday, February 15, 2022

My Honey is SO smart...

 

We had a chuckle or two yesterday while driving to our storage unit: somehow, we got on the topic of test scores and intelligence.  Joan was an average student (grade-wise) when we met in high school; I was a "high achiever" who tested well.  Yes, I may have written a term paper or two for her back in those days.  She certainly typed up a term paper or two for me.  Well, to be fair, I made a little money on the side selling a term paper or twelve (hey, if you're already in the library doing the research, writing the paper is the easy part).

After supper last night, we exchanged Valentine's Day cards.  Yes, Rufus got a card for his Momma - he's sweet that way.  It's a family thing - we do read the cards when we're picking them out, making sure what's written in them applies.

After thinking about the hundreds, maybe thousands, of cards over the years, Joan said, "You know what would be a good idea?  We should put these cards in a box, and at each card-giving occasion, pull them out and write one more sentiment with this year's date on it.  Wouldn't it be cool to get a Valentine card with 10 years of sentiments on it?"

That is a GREAT idea - if we can remember to do it!  We tend to keep cards for a while, then when a bunch have accumulated, look through them again and toss them.  I think everyone has thought about "re-running" a card, but this is MORE than that - it requires you to think about "this year's sentiment" and the recipient will get to enjoy those memories... probably more each year.  I may have gotten a little tear in my eye when she presented this idea.

I love this woman.  I love that she can still surprise me.  I love that she cares enough to put the thought into ideas like this.

--------

Steph called us after school yesterday, to wish us a Happy Valentine's Day.  I have to say, I am a fortunate guy to have these two wonderful women in my life.

And Rufus... because he is such a good boy.

--------

Speaking of Rufus, he had his annual check-up today.  No issues.  He trimmed a few ounces off his weight; good diet and exercise.  I am surprised by that because he seems bigger when I pick him up.  The vet complimented Rufus's good looks when he came into the exam room (I consider that a professional medical opinion, so: fact)... good way to win over the parents.  Everything checked out good - he's a healthy boy.  A couple annual shots and we were good to go.  The vet said, "Keep doing what you're doing.  He really is a handsome cat."  Can't argue with that.

--------

This afternoon, while Joan went to the store, I changed the oil and filter in her Xmax.  While I did warm it up a bit before draining the oil, I didn't get a ride in afterwards.  It is a lovely sunny day, with the afternoon temp in the low 70s... but the wind is blowing a solid 20 with higher gusts.  I had planned to change the oil in the Vespa, but I discovered the drain plug in it is 24mm.  I don't have any wrenches or sockets that size.  Yes, I tried it with an adjustable wrench, but I could see it was going to try to round off the corners.  So, I'll pick up a 24mm socket the next time we're around any civilization and get the Vespa done another day. 

I stacked some bricks to raise up the trailer ramp door in the  mostly down position, making it kinda close to a bike lift.  I have no way to clamp the front wheel of the bikes (like a real bike lift), so I put them up on their center stand.  That works great with the Xmax, but the Vespa wants to run the draining oil down the leg of the center stand... I'll work on a better way to do that next time I mess with it.  Back when we had the Honda PCXes, I made a "trough" from a water bottle to keep the draining oil off the center stand; it may take some additional "engineering" to make that work with the Vespa.  Another day.


No comments: