Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Practice makes…

 

Well, the saying is “perfect.”  I was watching some YouTube motorcycle videos today; one was about the need to practice skills.  It made me think: it’s been a long time since I just went out and practiced some tight U-turns and hard braking.

I took Joan’s bike out while she was working on a home improvement project… there is only so much I can offer in the way of advice.  We both know better than to let me paint anything.

The weather is improving, small increments; sunny, wind around 12 mph (still out of the north), and it was 61º when I went out.  I rode across the causeway and up-island to the Convention Center… assuming there would be an empty parking lot for my practice area.  Surprisingly, the lot closest to the building was nearly full - must be something going on there today.  But, the outer parking lot was vacant…



I had the lot to myself and started off with some U-turns; within a few minutes, those turns were getting tighter.  It felt good.  A couple hard braking practices - the brakes on that Xmax haul it right down.  I even found some sand (not hard to come by around here) for some practice with that on top of the asphalt.  Bike and rider unscathed.

Back home, changed out of my riding gear, and Joan brought in a package.  Yep, FedEx had dropped off my new MacBook Pro.  Anticipation of setting up the new machine, with a small bit of dread knowing how much work I have ahead of me.  Since the previous laptop won’t open, I have to transfer my information from an archived Time Machine back-up on an external hard drive.  I got out the necessary stuff and went to work on it…


It will be a couple hours to transfer applications and files.  I am hoping I don’t have to go in and reset every password… but, I have the hard copy out if necessary.  This new computer looks sweet - not much different from the machine it replaces… but, they keyboard sure feels better.  Apple, in their quest to “improve” things put a new keyboard in that previous MacBook (back in late 2017) - I bought it right after it came out, and wasn’t aware of the universal dislike of that keyboard.  I read plenty of reviews on this new one, and they are very favorable about the really improved keyboard in this newest version.

So, it will be a while before I am able to actually get my hands on this new one, after the information is transferred.  Of course, there will be other archived files to add to it.  But, so far, so good.  In the meantime, this iPad Pro and I are getting along pretty good (this post is thanks to that).

--------

A couple hours later: my software, apps, and favorites have been transferred to the new MacBook from Time Machine.  Smooth transfer, just takes time.  Most of my favorite internet sites needed to have passwords input, but again mostly smooth.  One piece of malware slid in from the Time Machine transfer, and it has been zapped.  The screen on this new MacBook is bright and crisp - the keyboard is a delight!  With that old keyboard, I was able to type about 60 words a minute with approximately 100 errors... now: same speed by the errors are down by about 97%.  It is not just my klutzy fingers.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

When we lived in Alaska, we were forced to mothball for about six months every year. Every spring we would do what you are doing - find an empty parking lot and practice the basics. On alternate years we would take the MSF Experienced Rider Course as soon as we could in the spring just to shake off the rust. Doing the basic drills on your own is almost as good.

I am thinking about a Macbook myself. My elderly desktop runs Win 7 and work still demands all of the usual software like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF Writer, etc. But at some point this ancient desktop machine will give up the ghost. I don't even keep a laptop any longer. I'm never out for more than 3-7 days and the iPad and iPhone can handle the basics of email until I get back into the office. Rather than starting over from scratch with Windows 11, the plan is to *probably* convert to the Mac world. All of my work experience has been in the Windows/PC world, but I like the iPad (I get Alice's hand-me-downs when she upgrades).

My retirement will come some time in 2023, so there is now a 12-18 month window. I don't yet know which month. That will depend on how I get to "close up shop". I am only beginning to explore the possibilities.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - It was fun to practice on the Xmax today. I think taking an MSF Experienced Rider Course is a great idea. You are reading my mind (insert your favorite "light reading" joke here).

If you like the iPad, you will truly enjoy a MacBook (Air or Pro). It has taken a couple hours to transfer my software and files from Time Machine, and had to enter passwords on my favorite sites, but I am back up and running with this new MacBook. Feels like home again. :-)