Saturday, February 26, 2022

The old man is losing it (featuring a guest blogger today!)...

 

As you might figure from the title, Rufus is blogging today...

We are back in the little house that moves.  It was the first house I knew with my family, so all three of us are content in it.  Some days it moves more than others.  This trip is unusual: Mom gives Dad a hug then disappears.  Whenever we stop, there she is.  I know we have that white car that doesn't have as much room as the moving house - maybe she's in that?  Maybe she's riding on top of the moving house?

It was raining today when we left...


 I'm not a big fan of the rain because it reminds me of that terrible storm last summer.  But, I sit on Dad's lap and he tells me: "It's all good, buddy," and rubs my neck.  Mom must not be on top of the moving house, because she's dry when she comes in.

Before she left this morning, Mom put my sweater on...


I haven't been outside since we left home, but when the door gets opened, I can feel the cold air rushing in.  I have a fur coat, but the sweater seems to make Mom feel good and that's OK by me.

We drove farther today than yesterday.  After a stop for gas (Dad calls those places "dirty thieving bastards"), Mom and Dad hugged again and before she left, said, "Call me."

We drove through a big city with a lot of traffic (San Antonio).  I sat on Dad's lap for a lot of that - I think it helps sooth him.  Something different about this part of the drive, and why I think he may be losing it: he put some white things in his ears and talked to himself.  For a couple hours.  He said things like, "I'm staying in this lane... open a hole for me on the right... take the next left, but stay in the right lane."  Weird, huh?

And then, we were out of the traffic - we stopped at something called a Picnic Area, but it was still cold and rainy.  No one was picnicing.  Mom appeared.  Dad fed me and Mom made lunch for them.  I haven't tried their food, but it doesn't smell as good as mine.  Of course, I was very patient, considering they were about 12 minutes late in getting the moving house stopped and my lunch ready.

Back on the road, Dad didn't talk to himself anymore... but, he did say something about "West Texas goes on forever" to nobody in particular.  In this area, the road looks like it is cut through the hills - I heard him say something about Texas Hill Country...


Lots of big trucks on this road, but they don't scare me.  Towards the end of the driving today, I went into my man cave (that's what Mom and Dad call it)...


That seems to make them happy, too; plus Mom did go through all the work of setting it up on what is usually her seat in the moving house.  Dad said something about getting gas, but I don't think it was any thing he ate.  I sat up when we pulled into another of those "dirty thieving bastard" places...


About that same time, the rain stopped and there was even a bit of sunshine.  We drove into a small town and then into a place that has more moving houses.  And some barking dogs.  I think I will just stay in the moving house tonight.

Dad said something about "a long one tomorrow - we have to get through west Texas"... I think that means the house is going to move even more.  We are going to see Stephanie and Dan.  Stephanie always makes a fuss over me and tells I am a handsome boy.  She has good taste.  I think it will be a few days before they get to see me.

Thanks for reading what I wrote today.  After all that driving in the rain, I think Dad needed some time off.



No comments: