Thursday, February 3, 2022

That was close…

 

I slept in ‘till about 6:30 this morning.  That’s “sleeping in”??  Well, compared to the last week, yes.

Yesterday, we debated pushing on and getting ourselves home.  It turned out to be a good choice, as the cold front blew in in the middle of the night.  Had we stopped in San Antonio, we’d be dealing with below freezing weather, freezing rain, and ice.  Anything north of that would have snow on top of that ice.  It is 48º here this morning, wind gusting in the upper 30s, occasional spit of drizzle.  If we had stopped anywhere along the way, if we weren’t weathered in, we’d be trying to drive in that crap.  And, unload in this cold and wind here at home.

Instead, we can enjoy the warmth of the house, Rufus gets to sleep in his “big chair,” and we can all take a nap to catch up on some sleep.  Joan made us our usual fruit smoothies and fresh cinnamon rolls this morning.  It doesn’t matter that my ass is dragging, ‘cause I have no agenda or schedule.

On the matter of the “drowned MacBook,” I spent some time researching this morning.  I like the size and form factor of this current 13” MacBook Pro, but have never liked the keyboard.  To replace it with something similar, there are two close considerations: the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro, both 13”.  The specs are so close, I am surprised that Apple offers both models.  I decided to go with another MacBook Pro - surprisingly, the shipping from Apple would be nearly a week.  We checked our nearest Best Buy; they don’t have that one in stock, but they have have it to me by Saturday.  Looks like this ugly weather is going to be around for a while, so sooner is better.  And then the inevitable couple of days of getting it set up and “feeling like home.”  I had backed up the current MacBook before we left for Iowa… but that doesn’t always mean an easy transfer.

In the meantime, this iPad that normally gets used for recording and working up 360 videos (those are better with the Insta360 app rather than the OS software) is taking care of my posting and surfing needs.  Testing out the photo uploading with an image from our storage unit late yesterday afternoon…


Yep, seems workable.

The new MacBook line is using Apple’s M1 chip, faster that the previous Intel chip.  And, a much better keyboard - I’m looking forward to that.  I’ll see how the computing experience is after it gets here and set up.  The delivery is supposed to happen on Saturday… with the crap weather everywhere north of us, we’ll see how that plays out.



1 comment:

Bob said...

Jim = you paid him to kill your laptop!! Not bad mouthing Apple but I cannot stand their computers. I am an IBM ThinkPad boy - you can run water over the keyboard and it just comes out the drain holes in the bottom - I drink while at the desk and have tested this ability with more than one cup of hot coffee using cheater glasses that mess up my depth perception. You have much greater willingness to try new hardware and learn the tricks/in and outs. I ran Windows 98 on four ThinkPad top of the line laptops till I was the last one left in the barn. Enjoy your new computer. Bob in Nevada