Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Luke, I Am Your Father...

 

Darth Vader never actually says, "Luke, I am your Father," in the Empire Strikes Back.  The real line is, "No, I am your Father,"but people add "Luke" when quoting it to make the reference clear out of context. 

I say this line when Joan puts a long black cape over me when she is about to cut my hair.  I'm guessing she doesn't know why I say this.  I am further guessing she doesn't care.

But, today was haircut day for me.  Outside.  In the breeze.  There is always the qualifier: "No guarantees about how this will turn out with this wind."  (7 mph)  It always turns out fine.  I was due for a haircut - I believe it has been 7 years.  Or, perhaps, a month.  It will look better with my new cap, without hair sticking out around my ears.

The cape...

 

Cloak Images – Browse 370,340 Stock Photos, Vectors, and ... 

No, it doesn't look quite like that, but that is how I image myself.  There is no hood, and it is open in the back.  That doesn't stop me from doing the Darth Vader voice.

Semantic distinction.  In fashion, the word "cape" usually refers to a shorter garment and "cloak" to a full-length version of the different types of garment, though the two terms are sometimes used synonymously for full-length coverings.  Cape sounds cooler than cloak.  Unless, of course, we are talking about the "cloak of invisibility."  But, that is a different movie.

I believe the word you are now looking for is: nerd.

 

2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Alice cuts my hair too, and I will be due soon. She offers the same guarantee of results, but she has to look at it more than I do. Left to my own devices I would just use the Wahl clippers and buzz cut it myself. Probably better this way.

She started cutting my hair years ago. The "pro's" always managed to mess it up somehow, and my hair is about as simple as it gets - straight with no weird cowlicks or anything. She got tired of me coming home with bad haircuts and just started doing it herself. I already had the Wahl clippers for beard trims, but she uses it for the hair. No cloak though; I get a haircut and head straight for the shower.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Nice to have a spouse willing to take on the coiffing (and how often do you get to use that word?). Joan took on the responsibility back in the 90s. My hair used to be curly, but got straighter as the gray came in. I keep it a lot shorter these days, so it needs some attention once a month or so.