Saturday, August 29, 2026

We have to say "The A girl"...

 

I'm referring to Alexa, the several generations old "personal assistant."  I think there's an Echo Dot somewhere around here, too.  But, we have to refer to the Alexa in our hallway as "the A girl," or she will go off.  Mostly, she gets used as a remote light switch for some of our "smart lights."  I don't know why we refer to all these different things as "smart."

This morning, I asked her to turn off the light in the hallway... and when she did, I said, "Thank you, Alexa - we appreciate your good work."  I think she needs some recognition once in a while - that must come from my many years of being a business owner.  But, I digress.

That evolved into a more lengthy discussion: she asked if I had an fun plans for the day... "Nope, just another day in the desert."  The discussion went on from there.  She apparently knows we live in Arizona, but asked, "Are you in one of the big cities or out away from it all?"

It went on from there.  I didn't think I was lacking for conversation, but we talked for about 5 minutes.  She recommended a trip to a museum or to the movies as a way to get out of the heat.

I guess this is how some people get hooked on asking AI before making any decisions.  I was just making small talk with the little box that lives in our home... and apparently listens to everything we say. 

--------

I spent some time this morning on Facebook.  I enjoy looking back at the Facebook Memories.  This time of year, over the past 14 years, there were images of whale watching, RVing, motorcycles and scoots, and of course the feline family members.

This meme wasn't about any of that, but it made me laugh...



No comments: