Thursday, December 13, 2018

A narrow window...


After lunch out with Mike and MJ, it was a beautiful drive back across the causeway - the water was as flat and pretty as I've seen in quite a while.  About 77ยบ, reasonably light breeze.  The next cold front is forecast to move in this evening - not much of a chance of rain, but the winds will be out of the north in the 30s gusting to upper 40s!

If a guy was going to pull the cover off the boat and take it out for a short cruise, it had to be now.  Joan declined my invitation due to working on another project... but said, "I'll push you off and catch lines for you when you get back.  Have fun!"

I took the cover off; well, took the cover mostly off: I left it connected across the front of the boat.  You can see it over the front railing as I headed out our canal...



Plenty of excursion boats tied off at the wall of the nearby marina, where they will have protection from the predicted north/northwest winds...


Check out how beautifully flat that water is right now (above photo).  Heading into the turning basin, there are a few vessels tied off...





Before getting out of the turning basin, my first view of a dolphin was one jumping completely out of the water...


Yeah, that was as fast as I could grab the camera - just in time to catch the splash.  Well, I might as well take some time to look at some dolphins - it has been a while.





Seems there is some dolphin nookie happening, as well...




It was good to see them again.




Some heads and tails...




Wanting to run the boat at bit (it has been over a week since we've been out), I waved bye to the dolphins and headed for the ship channel.  This shrimper is heading in - good timing on his part...


Looking west into the contrasty light...


The wind was starting to come up - nothing big, yet, but I knew I would have to wash down the boat and get the cover back on it.  Time to head in.

That isn't a manatee on the boat - the cover (still tied up front) is billowing in the wind...




No comments: