Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Get off my lawn, ya damn kids!


I'm an old guy.  One way of knowing how old you are is when people younger than you are dying.  No, this is not meant to be heavy... just an observation that when people my age die, no one says, "Oh, he was so young."  Yeah, I have reached that age where they may say, "He was childish," (I prefer: a child-like sense of wonder), but not, "He was so young."

I haven't written a song in decades.  Today, I mentioned my "revelation" to Joan after reading about a classmate who passed.  I decided "Too old to die young" would be a good song title.  I messed about with a few chords, picked a familiar chord pattern, and wrote down some words.  The Spire Studio makes it easy to make "audio notes" to come up with a verse/chorus/bridge.  It took me about an hour to write this.

No, it is not meant to be a serious song-writing venture, but rather something to try to knock 45 years of rust off an old... well, "skill" wouldn't be an appropriate term, since I only wrote a few long-forgotten songs back in my late teens and early 20s.

So, here is that first attempt: Too Old to Die Young...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/too-old-to-die-young

Only seemed appropriate that the photo to go with it on SoundCloud should be 45 years old.  ;-)




No comments: