Sunday, December 16, 2018

Passions...


You know it is a very good day when you get to indulge in multiple passions!

Of course, at the top of that passion list is my Honey; I love getting to spend my days with her.  And, Rufus - he sat with me this morning, then Joan brought him out on the boat when I was getting it ready to go later.  Guitar time this morning (as noted in the previous post).  Boating with some fine dolphin viewing this afternoon.  And some scooting when we got back with the boat.

Yes, a very good day.

"So, where are the dolphin photos?" you ask.  Right here:

Heading out...


The lens we usually use for dolphin photos crapped out this week.  I dug out the lens from an earlier Nikon I have; instead of a 55 to 300mm, this lens is an 18 to 200mm.  It is an older lens, so a bit heavy; still works, and I wanted to find out if it was crisp.  That shot above is sharp as a tack.  And the 18mm focal length is nice for wide angle shots on the boat...


Yep, this lens will get us by until we can get the other one repaired.  Out in open water, a tug pushing two barges coming up behind us...


Another delight: our sweet daughter called.  I visited with her for a while, then turned the phone over to Joan...


I could see dolphins in the distance.  After Joan said good-bye to Steph, I moved us a bit faster in their direction (the motor is right behind us, so I didn't want it to roar while we were on the phone).  One of the local excursion boats was headed that direction, too...


He decided to follow behind the tug (a good idea, because they often stir up the water, bringing out more fish, which brings the dolphins)...


We chose to go where we had seen the dorsal fins in the distance.  Yep, first view...



They have turned, heading right towards us...




A nice tail slap...



I especially appreciate it when we get to see those great faces...


The excursion boat joined us - plenty of good dolphin viewing to go around...



Belly!


All around us...





Another boat joined the viewing: a charter pontoon that I haven't seen here before...



And then back under our boat again...



And, the faces...


When we decided to head for home, we were pleased to see another aerostat in the distance, by the Coast Guard station...


The previous one was destroyed during some strong winds earlier this season.  No idea if this one is rigged (radar and cameras) and ready to be used.

Just before making our turn into our canals, we saw these cormorants enjoying some sunshine, too...


Nice weather out there today - upper 60s, plenty of sunshine, not much breeze; this is closer to what we expect here.  With all the crap weather we've had since October, I don't take this for granted.


No comments: