Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Where there's smoke...


Well, there was a lot of smoke.

Joan was was out getting some stuff for a plumbing repair; when she got back, she told me about the heavy smoke outside.  Stepping onto our deck, you could see it - and smell it.  And with wind out of the south, this is west and north of us - glad to not be downwind of it.

She suggested I get out on the scoot to see what is causing the smoke; well, I said I was going for a ride and then she suggested that.  From our home perspective, it looked really close - turns out it was about 5 miles west and a bit north of town.  Off Highway 48 for those keeping track... yes, that used to be "the most dangerous highway in Texas."  The Highway Department expanded that highway to 4 lanes and put a concrete barrier between the east and west bound lanes - you would have to really work at it to have a head-on collision.  Then, in their wisdom, they raised the speed limit... can't have things too safe, ya know.

Heading through our village...


Through Port Isabel, then west on Highway 48...


Even with the wide angle lens on the GoPro, you can see that is a LOT of smoke.  Nothing out there but grass and cacti.  As I continued west I saw some vehicles on the side of the road in the other lane - as I got closer, I could see they were standing around what looked like a dead animal in the road.  My heart went into my throat... this area is a wildlife corridor, used by the highly endangered ocelot.  There are estimated to be fewer than 200 of these animals left in North America, and this tip of Texas is the only place in the United States where they can be found.

With the concrete barrier between the lanes, you are limited to where you can turn around.  After getting past the fire, I took the first turn around I could.  As I went by, it was clear that this was a grass fire; no idea if it was planned or not.

Heading back east on Hwy 48...


When I came to that dead animal in the road, it turned out to be an ocelot.  It had been hit more than a few times - there was a bit of fur left, so it was clear to see what it was.  When I got to a safe place to stop, I called the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge, a protected area that is a haven for the last remaining ocelots.  I gave the information to the gentleman on the phone; no one had called it in, yet.

When I got home, I got a phone call from one of the officers from the Refuge.  I told him what I saw, and where it was located.  He was already heading that direction to see if there was a collar on that ocelot.  He thanked me for reporting it.

The loss of one of these animals makes me sad.  I am hoping that those people who had stopped and were looking at the carcass weren't cutting fur off of it.

No comments: