Monday, March 13, 2023

Take me out to the ballgame...

 

If you said, "The song they sing during the 7th inning stretch," you get 5 bonus points.  If you said, "Hmmm... that makes me hungry for peanuts and Crackerjacks," you are my people.

The 4 of us went to the Milwaukee Brewers vs the Cincinnati Reds today, at the Spring Training Cactus League '23, at Goodyear Baseball Stadium.  I like this facility - it is smaller than some of the other spring training stadiums around the Valley, the parking is free (and close), and you are up close to the baseball action, no matter where you are seated.  But, kudos to Joan for getting us good seats.

 

Dan is a Brewers fan (naturally), so Joan got us seats behind and 8 rows up from the Brewers dugout.  Good view of all the action at home plate, as well as the rest of the field.



Of course, we had to sample some of the ballpark food.  I can't speak for the others, but my refined palate was delighted to get a hotdog with Cincinnati Chili and a Cheesesteak sandwich.

By the second inning, I donned my "neck guard" to keep from getting my ears and neck fried...

It's a look.  I didn't say a good look, but I came away unfried.  Joan was only moderately embarrassed by my style choice... truth be told, I did it partly for her, so she wouldn't have to shoo away all those ladies of a certain age who are attracted by my animal astigmatism.  But, I digress.

It was a lovely day and a good day for the Brewers and their fans: the final score was 8 to 0, Brewers over the Reds.  I was surprised that the stadium wasn't packed... in fact, the 4,300 (+/-) in attendance was about half what that ballpark will seat.  That all works to the advantage of those who were there: when the game was over and we were heading for home (well, motorhome), there was no line of traffic waiting to get out of the parking lots.  Easy.


No comments: