Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Desert...

 

It wasn't a clear, sunny day today, but there were occasional patches of blue.  As promised, I made breakfast outside on the griddle; by 10:30 it was up to 62º, so I didn't need a parka.  It was good to get out there and cook again.

After clean up, we parted company: Joan was heading to the grocery store, I took off for some motorcycle time.  Rufus stayed home.

I made a circumnavigation of the White Tank Mountains.  With all the rain we've had, I expected things to be blooming in the desert.  Not yet.  I did pull over to get a photo of some of the ground cover that was showing some purple and yellow, but no blooms on the cactus, yet...



 The riding was good, though - very little traffic; certainly different from what we see daily in Buckeye.  I rode through Sun City Festival, which sits out on its own, away from other civilization.  The way things are getting built up, I would expect that stretch between Surprise, AZ, and Festival to become populated... but, in the meantime, it is wide open desert, with the occasional saguaro cactus standing tall.

Once into Surprise, it was full of traffic.  I thought I'd take side streets and stay off the Loop 303, but I discovered that roads we used to ride on our scoots have been cut-off to make room for more housing.  It was a lot of zigging, zagging, and I still found myself having to go through some of the slow winding streets in development... and, no, it is not the same as a good twisty road for riding.

About 3 hours of riding today; it was almost enough.  :-)


No comments: