Friday, April 21, 2023

Calm...

 

Before the storm?  I don't think so.  Are you practicing your deep breathing techniques?  Yes, I am; but that's not what this post is about.

Yesterday, with the launch of the SpaceX rocket, this area was abuzz with people and activity.  And then a mass exodus when that was over (with the "rapid unplanned disassembly").  By the time we ran some errands around 2:00, traffic was pretty much back to normal.

This morning, it was quiet around the resort as I rode my bicycle.  Downright calm.  Mother Nature was also calm... as in: no breeze.  That is unusual here, and combined with the overcast, it made for a very humid ride.  Still, it felt good to be out and about.  And enjoy the calm.  Before the weekend crowd rolls in.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

--------

You know what else is good for maintaining one's calm?  Yes, you are absolutely right: a motorcycle ride.  I took the CTX out and had a nice ride.  Warm and humid, but I was still "geared up."  It's self-preservation... only one close call and that was when I was turning off a main road and a woman in a big sedan looked right at me, then pulled right across my path.  She had the stop sign, I had the right of way - that doesn't matter if she had taken me off the road.  She didn't, but not from any concern on her part - I got on the brakes - hard - she didn't give me a second glance, other than looking like she smelled something bad.  But, really, other than that, it was a good ride.

Once back with the CTX, I took Joan's Xmax out for a ride, mostly to keep the battery juiced up.  Because I am a caring husband.  And I know I will have to replace the battery when it gets to that point.  But, I digress.  I've talked about how I enjoy riding her scoot.  It's a good performing bike.  It suits her as much as the CTX suits me.

Here's a file photo ('cause I didn't shoot anything today)...


And another look from the past: this was on my Facebook Memories from 10 years ago today...


We had recently switched from motorcycle to scooter, a move encouraged by Joan to keep me riding.  It was that long ago that I thought I was done riding because of that deteriorating hip... I couldn't throw a leg over a tall motorcycle (like the V-Strom I had), but it was easy to clear that step-through portion on the Honda PCX scoots.  Great little bikes - they renewed my passion for riding and it hasn't let up.  I really thought that was "the last bike I'm going to have"... yeah, that was 4 bikes ago.  I have learned not to say that again, about bikes or guitars.  ;-)


No comments: