Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Relaxing...

 

Joan asked for a relaxing morning (she has been working hard around the house and getting things packed) - her idea of relaxing: sitting outside on the deck, getting a "private concert," and having breakfast cooked for her.

I can do that.

When I got back from my bicycle ride, I took Rufus for a walk... because he's a good boy.  And he wanted to go for a walk.  And he wanted me to play some music, too.  With the walking done, he went out on the deck to sit with Joan, and I joined them, bringing my Emerald X7.

It was a humid morning, but the temperature was comfortably in the 70s.  My Emeralds don't mind changes in humidity (like going from inside to outside here).  No neighbors around us on the canal side, but I still played and sang quietly.  For almost an hour.  Playing to my audience of two.

When my belly told me it was time, I put my guitar away and fired up the griddle.  Joan asked for French toast today; she bought some cinnamon bread yesterday and wanted to try that.  As usual, she did the prep work while I got started on the bacon and sausage.  When she brought out the egg dip for the cinnamon bread, I got that going on the griddle.  I don't remember if I've made French toast on that before, but it came out nice.  Joan gave her compliments to the chef.

Then, we sat out there, enjoying what was left of the morning.  Steph sent us a link to the photos from their real estate agent, who had staged their house for the open house they'll be having this weekend.  The place looks great!  I'll be interested to hear how the open house goes.

I know what you're thinking: it has been too long since you posted a Rufus image.  See - I'm psychic.  Or psychotic.  It's one of those psych things.  Thanks for asking, and here's a photo of my big furry boy while sitting by my chair out on the deck...


Looking up adoringly at his Pops.  'Cause he's my boy.  And, he's a good boy.  I don't know... he may have been thinking: "Where's my French toast??"  No, he wasn't thinking that; he doesn't eat people food.  He keeps a close eye on my whereabouts as it gets close to his lunch time.


2 comments:

Jeff Collingwood said...

OK, I am confused. You are selling your house and buying one near Steph. OK, so far I get it. Now you say Steph is selling her house. What? I am confused, but that is nothing new.
...Jeff...

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

"Programs, get yer programs - you can't tell the players without a program!"

Here's the scoop, Jeff: Stephanie has been lobbying us for years to move to Phoenix. I have resisted, preferring to live by the water. This last year, Joan jumped into the "let's move to Phoenix" camp. I am familiar with the phrase "Resistance is futile." While there in February and March, we started looking around at properties. Steph and Dan suggested a NextGen home... what I would consider a "Mother-in-law apartment" attached to the house. The new plan: let's both sell our houses and get something like that. I may have scoffed and said, "Why don't you find us a nice duplex in a 55+ community..." thinking I'd see how serious she was. The next day, she said, "We have an appointment to view some duplex options in Victory (the 55+ area in the Verrado community). I was only moderately luke warm to the floorplans.

I hadn't seen any floorplans in the NextGen homes online that I thought worked well for both couples. And then... we found one that impressed all 4 of us, but the community was a bit further out, making for a longer work commute for them, and further to shopping and services. Checking deeper (Steph and Dan have a good real estate agent friend), we found that same builder offering the same floorplan in a new development in a location we could all agree on. Joan and I looked at lots, picked our favorite (with a view of the mountains), and had Steph and Dan go independently and look at the 3 lot locations we liked best... their first choice was the same as ours. We secured that lot and got a building date. Which led to the current plan of selling both houses and building what we want. Separate, but attached. Pooling resources.

Can we all live happily under one roof, with a couple adjoining walls? We all think so. I was the last to get onboard, but I am all in now. The only reason we would move to the desert would be to spend more time with our kid. The timing seems right. Joan and I can still do the traveling we want, with someone right there to keep an eye on the home front. Never having to have mail forwarded again. The agreement that we don't have to spend every waking moment together, but if we want to have supper together once or twice a week (and Sunday breakfast), it is an easy option. It goes without saying that we love our daughter and son-in-law. We also LIKE them and enjoy spending time together. Will it be TOO much? You'd have to see our relationship to appreciate how we are together.

I am looking forward to this next chapter.