Friday, April 7, 2023

Screening...

 

My calls?  No.  Not usually, although I occasionally don't carry my phone.  But, I digress.  The screens I am talking about are the ones that go on the windows of your house.  In our case, those screens have framing that is aluminum, with what looks like white powder coating; they came with the windows when we had the house built.  Time and salt air had the white on there bubbling up... it looked tacky.  Joan found that we could order more screens on-line.  Then, she found out our local lumber supply place makes screens.  The "pulls" for removing them aren't exactly the same, but the rest of the framing looks to be a good replacement.

I took one screen of each size (15 total) with me when I went to the lumber place.  I had also measured each screen so they had an exact size.  The guy at the counter said, "As long as you have the number of each, we'll just go by these screens for the size."  I was told it would take "4 days... but Friday and Monday are holidays."  This was yesterday.  They called today to let me know the screens were ready.  In one day.  Getting work done ahead of schedule is a rarity around here.  I was told it was "good timing" because they were slow yesterday afternoon and this morning.

When I went to pick up the screens,  they didn't look as "square" as the old ones.  When we went to install them, I found out why: the right side on every stinking screen was about 1/64th of an inch longer.  It made it a giant pain in the ass to get the screens to fit.  Oh, we got them... with some "persuasion" (as in: pounding the corner in with a hammer)... it shouldn't be that difficult.  Oh, and on two of the screens, they put the pulls and spring on the wrong sides... I had to take those back this afternoon.  I was told they'd be ready "by 5:00 today."  We'll see.  They didn't take my name and phone number this time (I asked if they needed that to let me know when they were ready)... "It's on the paperwork."  Not on my copy.  So, we'll see.  I assumed they could just take the corners of the frame apart (looks to be a plastic piece that snaps in place), move the pulls and the springs, and it would be done.  But, no, I was told they'd have to be remade because the screen wouldn't fit again once they take them apart.  He acknowledged it was their mistake (they had the original screen to go by, the reason I took the old ones in).

There's a few more "projects" to be done around the house.  I'm so excited I could just puke.

--------

Update: the screens were ready at 3:00; yes, they called.  These last two snapped right into place.  Yeah, that's how they're supposed to function.


No comments: