Friday, November 10, 2023

Hurry up and wait...

 

Today our plan was to go to the motorhome and get it cleaned inside and out.  A lovely day here in the desert, with a predicted high of 79º, sunny, and a light breeze.  Just right for washing a motorhome.  And then late yesterday, our guy from the builder came by and said someone from the door company would be coming today between 8:00 and 10:00.  About 10:30, Mo (our guy) came to the house and said, "The door people aren't coming.  I don't know why, and I can't get any response from them."

Fun.

On the bright side, we thought our landscaper crew would be here today to hang the double gate.  Yeah, that didn't happen, either.  Mo looked at the concrete blocks they set in place and said, "That concrete isn't cured, yet - I suggest you don't hang those gates today."  Well, as it happens, when we didn't hear from the landscape guy, I called him, and he said, "We should be there on Tuesday to hang the gates and finish the grill counter (on Steph and Dan's side).  

I have learned to expect that people won't show up when they say, so I started assembling the griddle cabinet that Joan bought... because when you order stuff like that on-line, it is never assembled.  Joan was working on stuff in the house, when I pulled out the assembly instructions and it said, "It is recommended that two people do the assembly."  I only needed some assistance when it was time to flip the mostly assembled cabinet to hang the doors, and then again when I hung the hinges for the doors...


No, it does not have a blue top - that is a plastic sheet over the stainless steel top.  It had a lot of parts - took me just as long as the waste basket cabinet I assembled a couple nights ago, but was more straight-forward in how it went together.  This is to furniture making as paint-by-the-number is to art.  ;-)  I think it will be just enough to work with our Blackstone griddle.

Around noon, we got out of here and headed for the coach, picking up a burger along the way.  Friday on a holiday weekend, but the traffic was delightfully light.  The plan at the coach: I'll get it washed while Joan cleans the interior.  Load the e-bikes on the bicycle rack to bring them home.  Get my CTX out of the cargo trailer and ride it home while Joan takes the car.

The motorhome was grubby.  I don't remember driving through wet cement, but there was something gray spotting up the passenger side that took some serious scrubbing with the Mr Clean Magic Eraser.  It was not like magic.  I was able to time which side of the coach I washed to keep all but the back cap out of the direct sun... but, it did leave me standing in the sun while doing the work.  Yes, I wore a wide-brimmed hat.

When I was done with the washing, Joan wanted to fill and dump tanks.  Then fill them again with a bit of soap added (holding tanks only, not the fresh water tank), and we'll dump them again and drain all the water out of the lines tomorrow, right before we take it to our covered storage.

We loaded the e-bikes onto the bike rack on the Equinox, and I got the CTX out.  While gearing up, I discovered my second helmet was not in the cargo trailer.  (It must have gone into the overhead garage racks.)  That meant I had boots, riding pants and armored mesh shirt, gloves, and... no helmet.  It has been years since I've ridden without a helmet.

We took the Interstate back - it wasn't as traffic-free as our trip the other way.  I'm a bit out of practice at riding in heavy traffic.  Well, to be fair, the only time I've ridden in the past two week was to bring Joan's Xmax to the house - I'm a little out of practice period.  I was tired, but the ride back felt great... and I had Joan watching my back all the way.  It took about 50 minutes to cover the 26 miles - we got home just after 5:00, time to feed Ruf and take him for a walk.

I didn't see what it was, but he chomped on something that must have stung him in the mouth - he was not a happy boy.  Back inside, I looked him over and didn't see any swelling.  He took some time to sit in his new "big chair" (I thought it was mine, but we can share) and hug one of his toys...

Because he's a good boy.  :-)



4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Poor Rufus. He lives in the desert now and has to learn about the sharp things that lurk there. And he IS a good boy [drink]!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. I told Rufus, "Anything that lives in the desert can, and will, try to kill you. Don't put anything but your food in your mouth." But, did he listen?

No.

Starting about a month and a half ago, while we were still in Texas, he decided it is big fun to lick the pavement. "Why do you do that, buddy? That is disgusting." When we go out for our morning and evening walks, I have to keep reminding him: "Nope, don't lick the sidewalk."

I don't know what the appeal is. Still, he is a good boy.

Earl49 said...

Maybe it tastes salty? That is the only thing that comes to mind. Cats are weird but that is why we love them.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I could understand salty at our Texas home, but here in the desert? I like the smell of salt air... the desert smells like... dirt. I would think the sidewalk tastes like dirt. But, I'm not going to try it to find out. Yes, cats are weird; yes, we love 'em.

This will be the third night with Steph and Dan's cats on the other side of that adjoining door. So far, none of the felines have caught on to that, yet.