Sunday, November 26, 2023

Silent Sunday... who knew?

 

Other than to move the bikes from our garage to the shed, we didn't do any riding during those last days with Rufus.  I guess we didn't want to miss any opportunity to love on that boy.

This afternoon, I decided that a bike ride would be good for my heart and mind.  It was more work than I thought getting the CTX out of the shed, turned around, and out to the driveway.  Joan helped, and that made a difference... it's quite a ways from the shed to the gate, and tough to get the bike turned around with 3 different surfaces (pavers, gravel, and turf).  I am hoping it will get easier with more practice.

My plan: take the bike to South Mountain.  And this time (I rode it a couple weeks ago, with no camera), take along a 360 camera to get some video or photos.

First order of business: get to a gas station - there was one bar left on the fuel gauge.  The closest is the gas station at Safeway, about 2 miles away.  The price on one side of the street was $3.99... $3.39 across the street at Safeway.  I gassed up and headed east on Baseline...


 The traffic was light...


It's about 4 1/2 miles east to Central Ave, the street that will take you to South Mountain Park...


I could feel the anticipation in my stomach as I rolled into the park...



In a short distance, I discovered the road that goes up the mountain was closed - barricades across the road...


That sign in the middle tells you that today is "Silent Sunday" - no motorized vehicles are allowed on that road every 4th Sunday of the month.  Hiking, bicycles, skateboards are allowed.  Timing.

Oh, well; maybe tomorrow.

I rode the 2 lane road back to our housing development - a sign on the road said it was closed for a 7 block stretch, but they must open it up when they aren't working, so I didn't have to detour.  Then, through the "maze" that gets me back home...

I could have taken the back road that is more direct, but I was just enjoying being out on the bike.

The video...




No comments: