Monday, November 13, 2023

Next on the schedule...

 

Tuff Shed.  I got a call at 6:45 this morning: the guy who will be assembling our Tuff Shed was calling to say he is on the way here, and should be here in 25 minutes.  Or, that's what I think he said - I'm pretty sure English isn't his first language.  We'll see when he gets here.

They were right on time.  My new friends Enrique and Raul went right to work...


Well, "right on time" may not be accurate.  I was told by Tuff Shed to expect them "between 8:00 and 11:00"... so in that respect, they were early.  I would imagine they called me after picking up the materials at the Tuff Shed factory.

Probably a sign of my advance years, but these guys look like teenagers.  There was no hemming and hawing: they went right after it.  They obviously have a routine: one guy starts setting up the framing while the other guy carts stuff in...


I upgraded to the metal framing, thinking it would be best to sit in the landscaping.  One of the guys said, "Your landscaping is bery good."  When I say they were early, the sun was just coming up over South Mountain as they brought everything in...

I had some concerns when I first saw the side walls on the trailer - they were gray colored.  Enrique told me, "That is just the base," and he got out buckets of paint to show me that the color would be what we ordered (to match the house).

They were impressed how the walkway matched up to the positioning, then told me, "There is an issue with the doors."  As soon as he showed me the design on the doors I could see what he was talking about: the Tuff Shed salesman told me the threshold would be 5 1/2 inches.  He didn't tell me that we'd need 2 1/2 inches below that for the door to swing.  I had the landscapers build up the pavers to exactly 5 1/2"... we will need to raise the metal frame enough for the doors to clear when opening/closing.  Enrique assured me that would be no problem for them... but, it meant my plan to be able to roll a motorcycle in with no "bump" going through the door will have to be re-evaluated.  Not a deal breaker.  They will elevate the frame the necessary amount with blocks (or they can use the extra pavers we have).

The work goes on.

They had the frame raised and leveled in minutes...

While Enrique went to work on laying the flooring, Raul started the painting...


They work very efficiently.  It is far easier and less messy to paint the walls while they are horizontal rather then once they are up.  It is starting to take shape...



Walls up...


Getting close...



The finished shed...

--------

The guys finished in about 5 1/2 hours.  I asked them if they had another job this afternoon (no) and offered them the opportunity to earn a bit more today: the gates need to be stained.  They agreed to that.  Joan said she'd stain them, but offering this to them was her idea, and I think it is well worth it.  It is a lot of detail work, staining the wood between the black metal in the gates.  And it is a warm one again today.  There will be a bonus for this extra work.

 







No comments: