It hasn't always worked for me, but I try to follow this policy with guitars. I have been considering another solid body electric with good pickup options. I don't need a top of the line (read: $$$) guitar for this use - something that plays good and sounds good.
I have been researching and narrowed it down to a couple models. The one out? Thanks for asking - that will be the Traveler Speedster Deluxe...
I picked this one up to take along in the van; that didn't work out so well. So, the last trip out, my venerable Emerald X7 came along with us. With the cargo pod on the back of the van, that works much better; and the Emerald being carbon fiber means no concern about the heat or humidity.
So, a solid body electric would not be for use in the van. I have been enjoying the new Fender amp and looking for another option to go with that. The Paul Reed Smith (PRS) SE models are well-made and moderately priced; a good working guitar. That's where I'm leaning...

--------
A few hours later...
I like it when a plan comes together. The Traveler Speedster Deluxe has been moved on. A good price on an "open box" (mint condition) PRS presented itself. No one in the Phoenix area had the model I am interested in in stock. Ship it, Danno. (If you said, "A take-off from the Hawaii 5-0 TV series from 1968 to 1980, where Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord) would say 'Book 'em, Danno' when they caught the bad guy," you get 15 bonus points.
More on the guitar when it arrives, sometime next week. Probably.
2 comments:
I too sold along a Speedster. It just did not do what I wanted. We only bought it because it was a "target of opportunity" at a store in Anchorage. Ironically I sold it to someone in PHX who was then taking it to France as part of a work move. Good luck finding a new electric travel axe.
The Traveler is an interesting premise - it didn't feel comfortable to me, though. Not like I didn't give it a fair shake. And, the tuning keys are very awkward when changing strings (or just tuning it up). I actually liked the plugged in sound of the Speedster Deluxe, and the single press of one of the controls to get an over-drive. Now, with the TM Deluxe Reverb, I have been enjoying the electrics even more. Surprisingly, that Speedster Deluxe was not comfortable - it looks ergonomic enough, but I guess I am spoiled by the Emeralds. ;-)
I'm thinking it will be just the X7 for handling the travel needs. Easy; no need for an amp (even a small one).
Post a Comment