Friday, July 22, 2022

I see a bar...

 

Whar?

Over thar.

It's an old game we played when I was in Boy Scouts.  "You were a Boy Scout, Jim?" you ask.  Thanks for asking; yes, I was.  Before I discovered girls, guitars, and motorcycles.  May or may not have been in that order.

Another blisteringly hot day today; may hit that century mark.  Even if you leave early in the day for a motorcycle ride, it is going to be hot before you get back.  By the time I got to the east entrance of Custer State Park, it was already warming up.  Riding solo, I made two decisions: take Iron Mountain Road, and see what it is like to ride the length of it at the speed limit.  Why? I dunno.

Didn't matter... I couldn't hold the speed limit.  I admit it: I am weak when the twisty road beckons.  Oh, I started at the speed limit.  That lasted for almost a half mile.  Then, I looked down and... oops.

And, another unicorn of a day - not a single vehicle in front of me the entire length of Iron Mountain Road!  No, I didn't shoot any photos or video... but, I have it in my head.  Coming around one of those pigtail bridges, I could see a pickup ahead of me, and he pulled to the side before I ever got close to him.  No traffic at any of the tunnels.  After today, if I stopped riding that great road, it would be enough for me.  Yeah, I'm lying.  I guess I am getting out earlier than usual because of the heat, and riding more solo trips.  I prefer to ride with my Honey, but she'd rather not ride in the heat... or too early in the day... and she encourages me to go have fun.  I did.

"What about the bear, I mean bar?" you ask.  I couldn't do this blog stuff without your participation, and thanks again for asking.  Yes, I was talking about a bear.  "Are there bears in the Black Hills?" you ask.  Well, there is Bear Country, USA, which provides habitat for bears and other wildlife.  It is a drive-through wildlife park.  There have been rare bear sightings reported over the years (bears used to be native here), mostly unsubstantiated.

One place we always see bears when riding by: Keystone.  There is a family of chainsaw artists that create and sell their wares in Keystone, and Joan always comments about the bears hanging from a rope as we go by.  I decided to stop there today, and bring her home a bear.  Yes, I am on a motorcycle, so it isn't going to be a life-size wood statue (they have those).  And, we have no good place to hang one by a rope.  But, I did find a cute one holding a "Welcome" sign... or, if you reverse the sign, it says "Go Away!"

I strapped it to the rear seat of the CTX (or, as I now refer to it: my bear hauler)...


It wouldn't fit in my top case, but I always have that bungee net with me.  It rode fine there back to Hart Ranch, and I surprised Joan with it when I came in.  Here's how it looks holding the sign...

For some perspective, it looks to be about the same size as Rufus sitting up.  It won't eat as much, and in spite of what you might have heard, it won't crap in the woods.  A fun reminder of our time here in the Black Hills.



No comments: