Friday, July 29, 2022

One Week Before The Rally...

 

I was feeling like steak tips today, and not on our griddle.  The Loud American Roadhouse in Sturgis has the steak tips my taste buds were calling for.  Theirs are deep fat fried.  I texted Joan my basket of nearly gone steak tips.

She texted back: "There is something to be said for deep fat fried."

I texted: "That something to be said is: yummy!"

Since I was in Sturgis, I put a camera on the bike and made a run down Main Street, turned on Junction, and up Lazelle, for a look at what this town of 7,000 looks like one week before the Rally kicks off.  The population will swell to somewhere on the far side of a half million during the Rally.

The video...

 


Some bonus footage on that video: a ride through Vanocker Canyon, south on Nemo Road, then onto Norris Peak Road.  Yeah, it's on the video.  


 Some great riding on these roads - a higher speed limit compared to the riding on Iron Mountain Road and in Custer State Park.  The curves here are more "sweepers," allowing you to take them with a bit more speed on.  And what a delight today: almost no traffic!  There was never a car in front of me to slow me down.  That won't be the case over the next 3 weeks or so.

Vanocker Canyon Road got the chip-seal and oil treatment (yes, like the roads we enjoy to the south), but the Meade County Road Crew did a better job of it than what we've seen in Pennington County.

Into the mid-80s today, with even hotter temperatures forecast for the next 10 days.


No comments: