Thursday, July 28, 2022

The Eyes Have it...

 

I went for an eye exam first thing this morning.  I am not a fan of early appointments for anything... I don't own an alarm clock, so I find myself checking my Apple Watch (in Nightstand Mode) every half hour or so, so I don't oversleep.

I was on time (for when they told me to be there: 7:45), and they hadn't opened, yet.  The young lady receptionist was right there after I pulled on the door.  She had me fill out 3 pages of paperwork, and I sat to wait for the eye doctor, who showed up right at 8:00.

She took me into an exam room and we did all the usual tests.  "I see it has been quite a while since your last eye exam - any problems?"

"No, not really - I have to squint if I read a menu in low light or if the instructions to some device are written in light gray ink on white paper."

"That's typical for most of us."

The eyes are fine.  I have much better than typical vision in one eye, and better than most people my age in the other.  Then she said something about me being "remarkable"... and something about my animal magnetism... well, she didn't pronounce "magnetism" properly, but she said it wasn't a problem.  I know, I've had to deal with it all my life.  Then she said, "With your vision, glasses would be more of a nuisance than they'd help.  If you need to read a menu, maybe just get some over-the-counter reading glasses with the least power they have."

Better than buying $300 glasses.  I can spend that money on important stuff, like music gear or motorcycle stuff.

Then, she asked if I had someone who could drive me home... "Yes, my wife is in the car.  But, if I'm not driving, she won't have anyone to tell they're doing it wrong."  She had a sense of humor, then dilated my eyes.

Last time I had my eyes dilated, I remember things being overly bright for a couple hours; this was more of that and blurry, too.  Yep, good thing I wasn't driving.  We needed to get things at PetSmart and Walmart - I was able to follow Joan, thanks to her white pants.  While wearing my sunglasses and the chintzy roll up darkener they gave me to put inside my glasses.  Indoors.

Now back at the motorhome, with the shades down I can see enough to type this.  That's my excuse for any typos.  ;-)


--------

Well, that was embarrassing...

I got out on the bike this afternoon.  On one of the fun twisty roads, I was passed by a Prius.  He went around me like I was standing still.

For full disclosure: I was almost standing still.  In the middle of my lane.  A young deer walked out onto the road - I saw it coming, and I slowed down.  Way down.  It made no attempt to get out of the way.  On the side of the road, I saw the Momma deer with another fawn.  It was looking right at me.  I honked my horn... the deer in the road froze.  Yep, that kind of behavior is going to get it killed.  I honked again and that seemed to bring the fawn around and it started heading back to the side of the road.  It was about that moment that the Prius went around me.  Didn't slow down much, and I have no idea if the driver saw the deer.

With the deer mostly off the road, I went on my way.  My eyes were focusing fine, but I rode a bit slower the rest of the time out.  Nice ride; the fun roads to Keystone, Old Hill City Road, through Hill City, then the highway back to the turn for Hart Ranch.  I stopped to fuel up: not as good as yesterday's 77.5 mpg, but 74 mpg still makes me happy.  And the price went down again.  A little.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Eye exam days (and retina exams in my case) leave my eyes fully dilated for several hours. I'm lucky if I can read the computer screen again after four hours, while wearing my glasses, which I normally don't wear except for driving. The doc can't explain it, but the dilating agent also leaves me very tired for most of the day too. A good reason to nap with a cat.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - ANY reason is a good reason to nap with a cat! I got out on the bike this afternoon, but it did take a good 4 hours for my eyes to not be sensitive to glare and not have everything look blurry. Damn - I have new empathy for those who have to wear glasses. I was overdue for the eye exam.