Saturday, July 9, 2022

The end of an era...

 

I got a PM through Facebook from our nephew Shane last night - he let me know that Jack Bobier had passed away.  Jack gave me my start in professional photography, in the 70s.  When he first hired me, I was blown away by what he was doing in wedding photography... he paid me $3 per wedding to carry his equipment and load cameras (and learn).  I worked my way up from there.  My time at Bobier Studio was the opportunity to learn all aspects of the photography business: weddings, high school seniors, families, commercial photography, black & while and color lab, and schools.  It was something different every day.

I was going to college full-time (second time around), playing music in a duo with my buddy Mark Lamkin 4 nights a week, and working in Jack's studio.  Those were busy times, and Jack let me set my own schedule, as long as the work got done.  There were times I worked in the lab until after midnight.  Of course, shooting sessions and weddings were on the studio's schedule.  When I left there, I had an education in photography that no school could match, a good work ethic, and an understanding of what it took to run a photography business.

Jack was a bigger than life personality and could be a tough task-master.  I'd be lying if I said we didn't bump heads on occasion, but we always managed to clear the air.  I understood that he had to do things for the good of the business, and he understood that I was hard-working and fiercely dedicated to creating the best images possible.  Years after moving on and having our own studio, I could sometimes hear his words in my head... and have concerns that a decision I might make would incur the wrath of Jack.  ;-)

One of the highlights of my seminar career occurred when Jack brought his staff to a program I was giving for the Heart of America Professional Photographers Association (photographers from a 4-state region).  The crowd got a good chuckle when I told them about working for him for $3 per wedding... but what I learned about shooting weddings helped me lay the foundation for receiving the award for Best Wedding Album of the Year in our state 9 years in a row.

Rest in peace, Jack.  You were a mentor for me, and played a big part in the success of the studio that Joan and I had until we retired; you gave me one hell of a work ethic.  I had the opportunity to tell you that at that HOA program... I'm sorry I didn't tell you again after we retired.

A photo from the funeral home program...



No comments: