Technology passing you by, Jim?
Probably. But, that's not what I'm talking about here. If you said, "A song by Daryl Hall and John Oates, 1984," you get 20 bonus points. If you asked, "Didn't they have an ugly, public break-up?" you are correct, but no bonus points.
Last night, we saw John Oates in concert at MIM (Musical Instrument Museum), accompanied by a piano player and a percussionist...
I wasn't sure what to expect - turns out it was one of the best concerts we've seen this year. Oates came out with a friendly, conversational manner; introducing the other band members. It was stripped down, but still very full sounding. The MIM auditorium is a great venue - Oates commented, "This place is great - I feel like we're playing in someone's house." The performance definitely had that intimate feel to it.
They started out with an acoustic version of the song Out of Touch, then played some of Oates new (sans Hall) originals, a couple covers, several "these are the songs that influenced me", then played a couple Hall and Oates songs, and came back for an encore of another cover. The info on the concert said it would be between 75 and 90 minutes; he played for an hour and 45 minutes.
Video clips...
1 comment:
John Oates is a really good player and songwriter. I have seen him on TV a few times apart from Hall and was impressed. We don't see many shows any more, but are going to my favorite venue here in Boise (the Egyptian Theater) on Saturday to see the "Masters of Slack Key Show". That is a style that I love to play, and I have taken workshops or lessons from each of them.
Post a Comment