Friday, March 29, 2019

Crack?


No, not that kinda crack.  Kids, don't do drugs - stay in school!

I got a ping in the windshield on the way back from Laughlin, before we settled in at this RV park.  Earlier this week, Joan picked up a windshield ping repair kit for me to try.  I used one years ago, and it was pretty much a tube of Superglue.  This kit has the suction cup apparatus for pushing the resin into the glass; it comes with curing strips and a razor blade for scraping away the excess resin.

While Joan went grocery shopping this morning, I washed the coach.  When the sun was in the "just right" position that would allow me to use part of our windshield cover for shade, I went to work on that ping.  I followed all the directions carefully... and in those directions they mention that working on the repair may cause the windshield to crack further.

Yep.  From inside, I could see that the resin was filling the chip in the windshield.  And then... a crack started... first to the left, then to the right.  Damn!  The kit can also be used on some cracks; it didn't say anything about cracks caused by trying to repair the original ping.

We have had professional chip/ping repair in the past, they are very quick to tell you that working on the chip may cause it to crack further.  I am now living proof of that warning.

On the bright side: the coach looks nice and clean.  Until we head back to Texas, smashing bugs along the way.  No doubt a windshield replacement will be in our future, since I fully expect that crack to expand, thanks to the roads along the way.  Since this motorhome is a van cab chassis, the windshield will be way less expensive than the huge windshield in a bigger motorhome.


No comments: