Sunday, March 31, 2019

A day of rest?


In the words of the philosopher and handyman, Al: "I don't think so, Tim."

We were up and at it early.  Well, "early" is a relative term; early for us.  Still plenty to do to "break camp."  Yeah, that's camper-talk.  We've never considered our RVs to be "campers," but plenty of folks do.

The thing that concerned me the most was: 4 more tires to check/air up.  It all went fine, just takes time and working on my achy ol' kneeds.  Air bags to check and air up (easy).  Pulling up the patio mats... that is not easy; we pound metal stakes into the hard pack dirt that is under the gravel here.  With more rain than usual, I think the sand in that hard pack sets up like concrete.  It takes a pry bar, a sledge hammer, and Robogrips to pull out the 12 stakes.  And, a good deal of grunting and swearing (under my breath).  The patio looks naked without those mats down.  It also means extra foot wiping before going into the coach, so we don't track in the red sand/gravel.

While I was working on that, Joan finished packing the cargo trailer.  Wiped down all of our patio furniture and took the patio mats to an unoccupied site next to us that has a small concrete slab, so she could sweep both sides of the patio mats.

I put away our satellite (TV) cube.  Yes, we'll "rough it" for the evening with the powered TV antenna for local channels.  As Joan brought me patio chairs, I packed them in "my" aft storage compartment... yes, the one that we emptied out yesterday to get at the spare tire; huge, for the size of this coach.

Fresh water tank emptied and more fresh water (with a bit of bleach) added.  This evening, I will dump our other holding tanks and put the sewer stuff away (one less thing to deal with in the morning).  Everything that needs it gets lubed, electrical connectors get a little attention.

Don't believe those "leisurely" RV ads you see on TV.  ;-)  It takes plenty of work to have that leisurely lifestyle.  And, I still like it.

After sweating in the AZ sun, we'll clean up and head to Steph and Dan's for the afternoon.  Joan is making her family-favorite spaghetti... with plenty so we'll all have some left-overs.  Dan will get one last (in person) guitar lesson.

Rufus knows all the scurrying means we're almost ready to roll.  "You aren't going to forget to take me, right?"

"You are family, my boy - you go where we go.  And, we're heading for home, where you'll have a bit more room to run."  He got plenty of patio time this season, but we didn't do a lot of walking with him... I think he prefers all that nice grass at Hart Ranch to this desert gravel.  I get that.

A few last minute things to put away in the morning, more like daily traveling.  You tend to "spread out" a bit when you are in one place for a while.  ;-)


No comments: