Friday, March 22, 2019

That sucks...


Or blows.  Depends on how you use it.

"A vacuum cleaner?" you ask.  Well, yeah, but I'm talking about a harmonica.  I tried one once as a kid, but could never get past the awful inhale/exhale sound.  I had no one to show me how to use it.  And now a scant 55 years or so later, I decided to give one a try again... because you can learn stuff on the internet.  ;-)

A Hohner Marine Band 1896.  Same year I was born?  Close.  It is considered a standard in the harmonica world.  There's a harmonic world?  Yeah, who knew?  You can spend a lot more, but I figured this would be a good "dip my toe" entry.  It came with a month of "free lessons."  Well, stuff on the internet that they would like you to pay $16.95 per month after that first "free" month.  According to the intro video, I should be able to play along on a song... after only a couple months of practice.  The class is on how to play blues harmonica.

I followed along with the beginning videos, showing how to hold it, how to breath in and out with it, how to "tongue block," and more.  My lips are numb and my jaw aches... yeah, I think that is enough for today.  ;-)

Joan and Rufus were very patient while I practiced as quietly as I could.  Unlike the recent guitar acquisition, this is not "nearly silent."





No comments: