Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Ever the optimist...


We had an appointment to get a new front tire on Joan's PCX today.  We stopped in last week, got a price, and made this appointment.  The weather has been crap - yesterday's pouring rain had moved on, but it was cold and windy at 10:00 this morning when we were getting ready to leave.  We layered up and headed for the dealership.

Now, to be frank, this place is the biggest dealership in the Phoenix area, and we have had some less than great dealings with them, but the last time we got two tires on our PCXes, it was a good experience.

Not today.

The guy that made the appointment for us was not there today.  The guy who took our information was moderately indifferent, but all we needed was the tire... I wasn't planning on getting together to BBQ with him and his family.

We left the bike and took off with the two of us on the Vespa to get a bite to eat.  40 minutes later, the service guy called to tell me the bike was done.  When we got back there, the price was TWICE what I was quoted.  Of course, I complained.  Of course, the service writer tried to justify... by saying, "Well, you have to add in for a valve stem..."

"You get $90 for a valve stem?" I asked.  He punched away at the computer and came up with a price that was only 30% higher than what I was quoted.  I wasn't happy, but I paid and left.  And wrote a letter of complaint that I e-mailed to their "Internet Department."

A couple minutes later, I got a call from a guy in their "Internet Department" who wanted to "help me get the bike I want."

"You didn't even read my message, did ya?"

"Um, well, I'm in the Internet Department and it is my job to get back to you right away to help you get what you want."

"What I want is for you people to not be dirty thieving bastards..."  I was good and mad, and my end of the conversation expanded greatly from there.

This, of course, is all stupid.  No one should run a business like this, but this really is the way they do business.  Not smart on my part, thinking one good service experience there might be an indication of them not being dirty thieving bastards.

When I was done, the Internet Department guy apologized a bunch, told me that this isn't they way they normally do things and he would "get with a manager" to get my problem solved.  My problem is the way they do business... and we all know that isn't going to change.

He seemed like a nice guy.  Too bad he has to work for a bunch of dirty thieving bastards.

On the bright side, once this wind dies down (it blew our satellite cube over), we may get a few days of decent weather.  Right now, the coach is a rockin'.  And not from anything we're doing.


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

So the Coach is Rock'n and I still comea Knockin?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You could.