Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Did I hear that right?


I mentioned the influx of people over the weekend, with the relaxation of some of the "stay at home" orders that have been in effect here.  I just saw a news piece on one of our local TV stations that said, "Over 70,000 people came to the island this past weekend..."


The newscaster called it "Spring Break size crowds."

For some perspective, the year round population on South Padre Island is around 2,500.  Yes, people have been stuck at home; cabin fever abounds.  That said, you have no "social distancing" when 70,000 people converge on an island of 2,500 residents.  Another part of the story was the amount of trash people left behind on the beach.  I don't understand that mentality.  It gets dismissed as "part of the culture" but it is simply a lack of consideration.

------------

Mother's Day, and then Father's Day, are coming.  I have had something in mind for Joan, from Rufus and me.  Truly, there isn't anything we need, but I thought she'd enjoy this.  I ran it by her, then suggested we go to the island to check it out; I had called ahead to make sure the store had it, and that they were open.

Not a lot of traffic across the causeway, but not completely quiet, either.  We went to B&S Kites, put on masks and gloves, and went inside.  She looked around and agreed with my choice for her.

From there, we drove up the island and then back down to the beach park.  Much like the causeway, it wasn't packed on this weekday, but there were cars in the parking lots.  We stopped at the next parking to the north - fewer cars and almost no one on this stretch of beach...


Of the few people I saw, no one was wearing a mask.  I read an article about this earlier today: seems that some people take the mask as a sign of "weakness or fear" and is a violation of their rights.  Of course, there is nothing in the Constitution about masks, and the real reason to wear one right now is respect for your fellow man.  No one knows who may or may not have the virus - there are asymtomatic people out there who have or had the virus and didn't display any symptoms; those people can still spread the virus, unknowingly.

To me, wearing a mask doesn't show fear or weakness - it shows that I have respect for others.  It shows that I am intelligent enough to understand that there is no downside of wearing it.  Sadly, there are people out there being militant about not wearing a mask.  It doesn't display that they are somehow stronger than anyone else, it simply shows that they don't care about anyone else.

You can't smoke in most restaurants these days.  It is a proven fact that smoking is harmful, both for the smoker and those around him/her.  You have to buckle your seatbelt - when flying on a commercial airliner or even in your own car.  Your constitutional rights are not violated by that.  I am not militant that people should wear masks when it public... I just know that they put their fear of looking weak above concern for others.  I will socially distance - not from fear of catching the virus, but for keeping some space between me and inconsiderate people.

It's just the way things are going to be for a while.  Sorry I got off on a tangent.  It's a bit like the stupid guy that lives on our island who thinks the bridge not opening for him anytime he wants (it opens on the hour for recreational boat traffic) is a "violation of his rights."  I checked - there is nothing in the Constitution that gives you the right to not be inconvenienced.  The guy is a moron.  He is the only one who doesn't know that.

There is just so much stupid out there, and the current situation with the virus seems to bring that stupidity to the forefront.  "It's a government plot!"  News flash: the government needs our tax dollars to operate (and frequently stupidly spend that money) - with things locked down, they aren't getting that money.  Loosen things up too fast, and stupid people will go out and congregate and more people will get the virus.  Things will go back into the toilet.  Lose/Lose.

Hey, we went into a store today to buy that gift for Joan.  I could have ordered it online, but chose to spend my money locally.  I put on a mask and gloves while in that store.  Nothing was hurt by that.  My rights weren't violated.  The store got some income.  Ten days ago, that store wasn't open.  We are starting to move beyond the initial spread of the virus, but we need to do so in an intelligent manner.


I know there are a lot of people dealing with major stress right now.  Do what you can to be part of the solution.  There is no downside to being considerate.


1 comment:

Kent said...

A Guy up river from this Bridge want's it Replaced for the bennifit of his Boat Yard-- He would intentionally take his Boat out at High Tide to have it opened..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saugatuck_River_Bridge

Stupid is Everywhere-- I read that in WA People are having COVID Party's to get it..