Monday, May 11, 2020

First world problems...


People all over the world are dealing with a lot.  We (Joan and I) are doing fine; we are both healthy and don't have any job concerns... not having jobs doesn't suck.  The local "stay at home" restrictions have been eased, so we can get out when we feel like it.  Our grocery stores (all 2 of them) are well-stocked, including a selection of toilet paper.  Wearing a mask seemed to be creating a divide between people - I wear one when out in public; there is no downside.

We each had a goal for they: Joan was working on a quilting project.  I planned to dive into LogicProX, a digital audio workstation for recording.  Mark said, "It should be interesting."  He said, "It will give us more options with recording."  "It shouldn't be too tough to learn," he said.  I wish he would not have said that last one... that is tempting fate just a bit too much.

I spent about 5 hours with Logic.  For full disclosure, about a half hour of that was figuring out how to output audio to my headphones.  Yes, it is helpful to be able to hear what you are recording.  I laid down 8 tracks for a grunge-type version of an old classic song written by Carole King.  Because I am about a half bubble off level.


That is a portable mic surround that helps eliminate extraneous room noise - it works well.  I recorded a main vocal track, then some 3-part harmony tracks.  A couple different drum tracks.  Bass and drums.  A clean and a crunchy guitar track.  I just need to find a flannel shirt.  Grunge - get it?

The recording didn't frustrate much.  Trying to save and send the tracks to Mark proved to be especially frustrating.  Not sure how 8 tracks morphed into 19 when I tried to export 'em.  Fortunately, a phone call from my buddy Mike was a good interruption... and a good reason to step away from the Logic.  Nothing "logical" about it.

And Joan's quilting?  She had the project roll up on itself and wound up stitching a corner to the middle.  On the bright side, she can pull out the stitches.  I'm guessing WAY less frustrating than trying to learn LogicProX.  ;-)


No comments: