Saturday, May 2, 2020

Kicking and screaming...


My friend and music partner Mark is a musician.  I admire that he continues to study, taking online lessons for both keyboard and guitar.  He practices.  I, on the other hand, am an old rock 'n roller who likes to sing, and plays guitar, bass, and drums enough to support that singing.  My goal is "one and done" for recording takes... it doesn't always pan out that way, but if I don't have it in three takes, it is time to try a different approach.  Mark practices before a take, then does as many takes as necessary to get the results he wants.  Joan finds it amazing that our two different approaches mesh as well as they do.  I just enjoy making music, and it is always more interesting when doing so with Mark.

If you're a regular reader here, you know that Mark and I have been collaborating on songs using a Spire Studio for recording.  We can send tracks back and forth via the internet.  It is more fun to be in the same room when making music, because we can often just play, with no regard for recording.  For me, the music has generally been about performing - the recording requires a different mindset: leaving space for another instrument or vocal, keeping the rhythm tight as you add each new track.  We have learned a lot while using the Spire.

That said, the Spire does have some limitations: 8 tracks maximum, and no ability to alter the tracks (with different EQ, volume, or effects) after the track is recording.  Mark and I have said it is more like playing live, but with the ability to have a band with only two members.  If you need to increase or decrease the volume in a certain part of the song, you have to play it that way... there is no "boosting" this or that after the fact.

Mark is ready for "the next step" - a full digital electronic workstation (DAW).  Fortunately, that can me done on the MacBook Pro each of us has.  I have used a different DAW a bit, prior to getting the Spire; it was a pretty steep learning curve.  The Spire by comparison is easy.  Logic Pro (an Apple product) is Mark's choice for this.  It will result in no limits on tracks and the ability to add instruments or rhythms, if desired.  Again, it means climbing a learning curve.  I explained to Mark that "my brain is full - in order to make room for anything new, I will have to eliminate something... and I like my old memories."  He pushed.  I drug my feet.  He encouraged.  I tried to change the subject.  He said it would be good.  I told him about old dogs and new tricks.  And now, he has set us up with an appointment to learn from someone who has extensive training and use with Logic Pro.  Yes, a "Zoom meeting"... something else to learn.  It makes my head hurt just to think about it... I think I will not think about it.  For the moment.  But, writing this makes me think about it.  So, now, I have to think AND have an appointment, as in: a schedule.

Mark is convinced that this will take us to the next level.  I felt that way when I switched from an H4n Pro recorder to the Spire Studio.  I like that level.  We'll see how this learning stuff works, tomorrow.


No comments: