Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Launched...


Nothing to do with SpaceX.

Thunderstorms rolled through in the middle of the night.  The local weather weasels were predicting it, with the possibility of flooding and hail.  Flooding is less of a concern on our island, since the water has a place to run off.  Inland from us, the terrain is flat - it makes for a widespread potential for flooding, especially in the rural areas.

For us last night, it was pounding rain, lightning and thunder.  Rufus doesn't get too wound up about the noises.  He sleeps at the bottom of our bed most of the time, and he didn't stir much.  I got up once to check outside when the pounding rain made me think it was hailing.  It wasn't.

I checked the boat first thing this morning, got Rufus fed, and went on with the rest of my morning routine.  It seemed like the storm had passed.

I was wrong.

Around 8:00, Rufus was on my lap when a flash of lightning hit close by, followed instantaneously by a huge crack of thunder!  He went straight up.  Then, all 16 pounds of him came straight down.  On me.  Followed by a forward leap off my lap.  That is the first I've seen the big furry boy riled by weather noises.  Yeah, that crack of thunder got my attention, too.

Joan made a run to the store this morning.  Well, to two stores, since she couldn't get everything she needed at HEB.  A stop at Wally World first... Mother Nature rained down upon her on her way back to the car. 

You can't trust Mother Nature.


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/coronavirus-live-updates.html?__source=sharebar%7Cfacebook&fbclid=IwAR31CMSTJSxAnxO9Lek4xr8kao64iGTk8s8OpPFgNSzdJtMX0ywKWhNHAT0

To be expected-- Stay Safe Kids..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

With the crowds at the beach not distancing, I do expect cases to rise. Seeing the group across the canal from us with a dozen or so people in a two-bedroom duplex, and one teenager hacking like crazy, I would expect some in that group to have an issue. We continue to stay away from people as much as possible.