Monday, July 20, 2020

Dealing with insurance...


There's a song by Jim White that talks about dealing with insurance people - he describes them as "a shark in a suit."  I hope it doesn't come down to that.

I had to call Jaime from Progressive this morning; had to leave a voice mail and it took almost 4 hours to get a return call.  The issue we are having: I did photos and videos of the hail damage on the motorhome and the cargo trailer... apparently, those files are bigger than what Progressive's upload form allows.

Jaime wanted me to leave out some photos or videos so it would all fit.  I got a bit peeved... "So, you want me to leave out showing your adjuster some of the damage??  Even though you said they can pay us direct after viewing the photos and videos?  I understand that you are not sending a claims adjuster out 'due to the pandemic,' but that means you are not giving me all the service I have been paying for for decades.  With NO claims.  Instead, you want ME to do their job, and you're asking me to leave some damage evidence out??  I don't want this to get adversarial, but that isn't right!  How about you send me ANOTHER upload form so I can get all the information to you?  Doesn't that seem like a better way for me, doing your job, to get you ALL the details?"

And, when I say "peeved," I mean I was pissed.

I have redone photos and videos multiple times because it is darn near impossible to show detail on white vehicles, even with the proper exposure.  I do know a bit about photography, and trying to shoot shiny white outside isn't the way to show detail - it simply blocks up.  Which is fine if you just want a pretty photo... not so fine if you are trying to show dent detail.  When the Dents Plus guy did photos of the CR-V, he had the car inside his shop and was able to move the lighting around to show each and every dent. 

So, after waiting for just the right lighting conditions, I wasn't happy about being told to leave some of that out.

Jaime, to her credit, back-tracked, apologized for any inconvenience, and said she'd send an additional upload form for each claim.  As she should have done from the start.

After getting all those uploaded, I am still short on space for one video file for the cargo trailer.  I have no doubt it is likely "more than they want to wade through."  Considering the value of the cargo trailer, I'm guessing they will just offer to total it and not have to deal with it.  We counted: 256 dents on the cargo trailer... at the typical $50 per dent, that will come to over $12,000 damage.  More than twice what the cargo trailer cost.

So, that's fun.

----------

Are you shitting me??  2:40 this afternoon - it is hailing again.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

----------

2:55 - I think it's over.  The hail never got bigger than nickel size... which still gets your attention when it is being pushed by strong gusty winds.  The rain has stopped and it is 66º right now.  Rufus is once again snoozing by my side.  Severe thunderstorm warning for this area until 4:00, according to the info scrolling across the TV screen.






No comments: