Friday, July 10, 2020

Making music with my friends...


If you said, "That's a line from Willie Nelson's song On the Road Again, 1980," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "It was from the movie Honeysuckle Rose, and Willie was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song," you get 75 more bonus points.

Mark and I have been sending tracks back and forth on a song he wrote.  My part was relatively simple: vocal and acoustic guitar.  Hey, we're in the motorhome, and it isn't exactly a recording studio.  Most of my music gear was left behind this trip, but Mark has a bunch, and did a fine job in writing the song (words and music), recording solid tracks with guitar, drums, bass, piano, and more guitar and piano... so all I really had to do was find a quiet time to record my two tracks.  Not easy in an active RV resort.  But, I got it done last week.

And then, Mark decided to change some words and phrasing... because it is his song and he can do that if he wants.  Joan and I had already decided to take the day off from riding, so I picked a relatively quiet time outside, with no screaming kids, barking dogs, vehicles driving by... and Joan put in her Air Pods and listened quietly to some of her music while I punched in (that's recording talk) some new words in the chorus of the song, after an appropriate amount of rehearsal time... and forgetting original words while trying to remember new words.  And hoping Rufus wouldn't pick this time to tell me he's hungry or wants to go outside for a walk in the grass.

Do you think Mark is just messing with me?  Maybe.  Nah, my buddy Mark wouldn't do that to me.  And then he asked me to do a scratch track for a really country song.  Because I play a lot of country music.  Except for the part where I don't.  And then for the fun of it, Dropbox (where I store and send large files) decided to crap out today.  And by "today," I mean: it happens frequently.

So, when you see us play, and it looks like we are having fun... it's because we are.  Because we are right there together.  Unlike now where we are half way across the country apart.  But, pretty cool that the technology exists for us to still make music together.  When the technology works.  Which is at least some of the time.


No comments: