Thursday, July 23, 2020

Who can take a sunrise...


If you said, "Candy Man, from the movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, made widely popular by Sammy Davis Jr.," you get 30 bonus points.

I was up early this morning.  Yes, in time to see the sunrise.  Well, as it filtered through the trees in this section of the resort... not exactly a wide-open horizon.

There was some consideration about getting out for a ride this morning, but we swapped that for a trip into town and a Hardee's breakfast sandwich.  We also looked around for the "hard stuff' I drink in the evening (Caffeine Free Diet Coke), and no one has it in bottles or cans - only the two liter bottles (which don't fit well in our RV fridge).  There happened to be a Coke delivery guy stocking shelves at one store and I asked him about "Why no Caffeine Free Diet Coke?"... he hemmed and hawwed and blamed it on the can shortage.*  They have all the other varieties of Coke, in cans and bottles.  Yes, I know: this isn't that big of a deal.

Like ordering a meal back when we used to do that and when asking for a Diet Coke, the waitperson would ask, "Is Pepsi OK?"

"Oh, yes, I like getting the runs," which is what Diet Pepsi seems to do for (to?) me.  TMI?

What does any of this have to do with the Candy Man?  Thanks for asking... I digressed yet again.

By the time we got back from our trip into town, it was already hot and windy.  Hot, as in: a high of 97º today, and it passed 90º late morning.  And windy, as in: gusting above 25mph.  That combination isn't pleasant for riding.

So, not the Candy Man, but rather: the Candy Ass.  I may have to turn in all my black t-shirts.

Who won't ride his Vespa?
Because it isn't cool.
Gonna have some chocolate.
And some ice cream, too.

The Candy Ass can 'cause he doesn't like the wind,
And Mother Nature can bite me.

OK, that last line doesn't follow the meter of the song.  But, it fits the situation.

;-)

---------

*  A can shortage?  Toilet paper, meat, hand sanitizer, coins, and now cans.  In the words of the philosopher me: WTF??  Rufus overheard me talking about a can shortage... "If we can't get my salmon in the can, you are going to have to go fishing, Pops."  I didn't tell him about Southern Resident Killer Whales slowly starving because of the lack of salmon - no sense getting him worried.  Apparently, the "can shortage" only affects caffeine free diet products.  Put it in bottles - I like the bottles better, anyway.

Maybe the crazies are right: this is some sort of government plot to control us.  Without my caffeine free stuff, I will be awake at night.  In my sleep deprived state, they will be able to transmit thoughts into my head via the 5G cell towers.  I'm kidding, of course - they can't get through my tin foil hat.

If a tin foil shortage is next, we're all screwed.


------------

I had to get a bit "firm" with another Progressive claims agent today. I have been "moved along" through several people now, but the guy a couple days ago said he was handling all three claims and expected it to move through their process quickly, since I had documented everything in detail.

And then, I got a call today from another claims agent who said he needed additional photos: of the interior, the floor, the engine, and the rear cargo area interior. Timing and the fact that he sounded like an uneducated teenager with all the "like" and "like I said" and "OK" to every response from me... if you've ever seen the Saturday Night Live routine with Pete Davidson as Chad, you will have an idea of what this guy sounded like. Apparently, his demeanor grated on my last nerve, and I told him there was "no hail damage on the interior, not on the leather seats, the carpet, nor the interior of the cargo area. None on the engine, either."

He said he needed those photos to determine the value for totaling the CR-V. Wrong thing to say. Texas has a 100% value before declaring a vehicle totaled and we aren't anywhere near that. This is a great little car, set up perfect for towing behind the motorhome (you can't do that with the new CR-Vs due to a change in transmission). I was assured by the guy I spoke with on Tuesday that they would be repairing, not "totaling."

I guess I have little tolerance for less than professional demeanor in a business whose services I am paying for. And have been paying... for a couple decades... with no claim. The dumbass today asked for the same photos that were already uploaded to them, with the exception of the engine... honestly, I didn't think there would be a need to see the engine for a hail claim, and it is NOT what they asked for with the two previous submissions per vehicle I sent them. Since Progressive isn't sending a claims agent out to assess damage, it is up to the customer to do their job. I had the feeling that this guy thought I was trying somehow to cheat them... well, that's the way it came across to me.

Now, you can insult my taste in clothing, tell me I am weak-minded, say you don't like my choice in scooters... but don't say anything bad about my wife, my cat, or imply that I am not honest in business dealings... or we're gonna butt heads. And I think he has experience in this area, because he came across as a butthead.

I have been working with them, giving them everything they asked for, in a timely manner. I'm beginning to tire of doing their job and have them change/amend/add to the work they expect me to do. Frankly, I shouldn't have to argue with my own insurance company.

I hope this isn't a change in attitude with Progressive, but rather just the less than professional manner of one person.

We'll see how it plays out.

No comments: