Saturday, July 18, 2020

Up on the housetop...


No, nothing to do with reindeer.

On this day, just 67 years ago, a boy was about to be born.  Seems he came into the world breach... or, as my dear ol' Mother used to tell it: "You came into the world telling everyone to kiss your ass, and you haven't changed since."

She had a way with words.  ;-)

Nothing says, "Happy Birthday!" like crawling up a ladder to do what will hopefully be the last of the roof repairs.  The wind was blowing 30 to 35mph, but I was determined to get this done today, since there is a significant chance of rain tonight and tomorrow.

We have a collapsible ladder that gives me access.  The cracks are all on the passenger side, so the ladder stays level and solid on the concrete pad.  Well, until the wind really gusts... it blew down twice before I could climb up.  Joan came outside to hold it in place.

There are two fixes for this roof repair: a patch material that goes on like thick tape, and an epoxy material that goes on like caulk; my plan is to use both.  I put the tape-like stuff on yesterday.  Today: the epoxy stuff goes around and over each of those tape repairs.

Some of my boat friends are familiar with 3M 5200 - it is often used in boat repairs as a permanent fix.  If you've used it, you know it can be messy.  This Flex product seems quite similar... I had on disposable gloves, used a rag to touch up any oops spots, and was very careful with spreading this stuff on.  Yep, I had to quickly clean it off the awning rail and the ladder.  I didn't get to a spot on my short soon enough, so I will have permanent proof of the work I did each time I wear those.  My Momma didn't raise no dummies: old shorts and shirt for this.

All things considered, it went as planned.  Hopefully the wind doesn't blow it across the roof before it has a chance to set up.

Tomorrow is moving day: we have a reservation for a site in "the Meadowlands" - it is part of Hart Ranch that was set up for overflow and rallies.  No concrete pads, but level gravel sites.  It used to have just water and power, but late last year they completed getting sewer to each site.  So, it really isn't an inconvenience to move there for our "9 days out."

Hart Ranch is a membership/owner park, but you don't own a specific site.  The rules specifically state that you can be in for 21 days in any 30 day period, they have to go out for 9 days.  We have an early membership that allows us to "buy in" our 9 days... in the Meadowlands... if space is available.  If you check with Reservations the day before your move, and there is a site available for the whole 9 days, you may be lucky enough to get a site up in the main part of the park.  Don't get me wrong: the Meadowlands area is still nicer than many RV parks, I have just come to appreciate the convenience of having a double-wide concrete pad to park on (you don't track in any small bits of gravel).  We were able to snag one of the available sites.

We still have to put away all our stuff and get ourselves moved.  Tomorrow.  With the wind blowing so strong this morning, we put away our patio chairs, the grill, and other stuff we have out on our patio.  Just one step ahead for our big move (about 3 blocks).

Rufus is going to miss having all that open grassy area (acres of it) that we have in our current site on the perimeter of the park.  It's only 9 days, and then we move to a nice big corner site that we've been on before - he'll have all kinds of room to wander (on his leash) then.

I got to visit with Steph this morning, opening cards so she can hear me get choked up.  It's a family tradition, with a sweet card and a mushy card... it isn't a successful birthday if she can't get me to be a bit verklempt.

No other hard, firm plans for the day, other than a trip into town for a 2:00 appointment for a detailed estimate on the Honda.  And, of course, having Joan and Rufus adore me for the day.

🎉


No comments: