Friday, July 17, 2020

It's a hot one...



... in the old town today.  Upper 90s for a high.  We had some running to do today: we got a preliminary estimate on the CR-V hail damage (actually appointment for a full estimate tomorrow - go figure?).  I liked the way these folks talked, so if they do the work in the same manner, this is the route we will go.  The actual repair won't happen until sometime in August... as you can imagine, the are a bit slammed right now.

Another stop at Dakota to get some permanent roof repair materials.  We studied up on YouTube, and I am ready to take on that task.  They didn't have the tape material we wanted, but the salesman checked in their shop, and they had about a foot and a half of what we wanted - he gave it to us no charge.  I thought it was interesting that they sell something different from what their shop uses.  Again: go figure?  We also bought some sealant to go around the edges of the repair tape.

Back home, with the thermometer reading 95º, I went up the ladder to "pre-fit" what we have, while Joan ran into town to get a caulk-gun.  It was freakin' hot up there... but, don't worry about me, I'll be fine... yeah, Joan is in air conditioned comfort in the car... I'm up there frying my brain... yeah, I know: no big loss... what was the question?

I pulled the "temporary" repair tape off, and it was very apparent that the sun had already punished it.  Good thing I decided to get this repair going, even though it is the hottest day we've seen since we got here.  We are supposed to get some rain over the weekend, and I do not want any chance of water intrusion in our roof or walls.  I prepped each area with alcohol (not, not my rum), trimmed the material to fit, and managed to make that piece of material stretch to fit our needs.  I will seal around and over each of those repairs in the morning, when it isn't so hot that the sealant turns to a pure liquid consistency.

Joan also picked up another water pressure reducer, this one with a gauge on it.  I put a new reducer on a couple weeks ago, and our water pressure has been getting less each day.  I took it off and we looked it over - no sign of gunk... it is just reducing things too much.

Having an RV is similar to having a boat: there is always something that needs attention.  No bigger, just regular stuff to deal with.  On a hot day.  Mid-July in the Black Hills.


No comments: