Thursday, July 2, 2020

Ever have a business you don't want to give your money to?


Yeah, me too.  The particular business I am referring to is Cotton Lane RV & Gold Resort.  It is a 55+ park that we have stayed in over the past decade while in Arizona.  The management and office workers are unpleasant; I don't like to spend my money with any business that acts like it is just too much effort to be nice.  There have been some years where we've stayed at other parks, but we come back to this one because it is the most convenient to Steph and Dan's home.

While there have been all kinds of really asinine rules over the year (like requiring every RV to line up at the same place in relation to the street - making it nearly impossible to reach the utilities with a shorter RV), but the thing that pisses me off the most is their on and off policy of allowing cargo trailers.  Yes, this one affects me directly, because the cargo trailer is our "portable garage" for the scoots.  I don't want to leave my scoot out in the weather with their sand/gravel sites.

Well, the last two years, a cargo trailer has been fine.  Now this year, it isn't.  I know I won't be the only one not giving them my money next year, and the policy makes no sense.  It is a decent enough park, but you can have a shed.  Or a fridge outside your rig.  You can park an eye-sore of a vehicle that doesn't run there, but somehow a white cargo trailer, that goes with our white and black coach and our white SUV, is offensive.

Nevermind the fact that they don't keep regular office hours and don't return your messages.  Or the fact that you can't make a reservation for next year until July 1st.  Yes, this is July 2nd, and the assholes gave away the site we requested, even though Joan left a message with them first thing yesterday.

We called around and found another park where the office person answered their phone AND was very pleasant while we talked.  It is another 10 miles further away from Steph and Dan's, but it is all Interstate.  We booked it on the spot.  Oh, and when I described our rig, including the cargo trailer, she said, "That sounds very nice."  That is a bit more pleasant than: "Well, you weren't supposed to have a cargo trailer here last year."  Even though there were others there with a cargo trailer.

We are just trying to get everything arranged as far out as we can.  When I let Steph know about it, she and Dan drove out to this other park and took photos (doing some "recon" for us), and said it looks to be very similar in amenities as the asshole park.  OK, she didn't say, "Asshole," that was my input.

----------

We had originally planned to get out on the scoots today.  The weather report was for very similar to yesterday.  Not even close.  By 8:00am, the wind was already gusting above 30mph.  The 10% chance of precip morphed to 50%.  The wind was unrelenting.  I went out and put away all the stuff on our patio to keep it from getting blown away or torn in the wind.  No, I won't be out scooting in that.

By 3:00 this afternoon, the sky took on an ominous look...


Oh, and you can see a bit of my offensive cargo trailer in that photo, too.  Shortly after I took that photo (while taking Rufus for a walk), the rain started coming down.  Looking at radar, it looks like the really bad stuff connected with this storm will pass north of us; the weather alert is calling for "damaging hail and wind gusts to 60mph"... I think we lucked out - the wind died down just before the rain started.

We may have to try for a scooter ride tomorrow - not going south from here, or anywhere towards Mt Rushmore.




No comments: