Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Rainy Days and Wednesdays...


No, not the Carpenters' song.  The weather weasels are predicting heavy rain and thunderstorms for today, through tomorrow, making for Flash Flood Watches throughout the Black Hills area.  The entrance to Hart Ranch is over Spring Creek... we have seen that creek out of its banks in the past - it can happen fast.

But, as of mid-afternoon, the way it is playing out has been moderate rain at most, with periods of no rain.  Definitely not a scooter kinda day.

I got some music files from Mark yesterday.  Also received a new mixer than was on sale for "one day only."  Really.  A heck of a buy.  No, I don't need a mixer right now, since we are traveling "music equipment lite" this summer.  But: "a heck of a buy."  I didn't figure I'd get the opportunity to record any tracks to send back to Mark, but I went for it during one of those breaks in the rain.  Yes, the noise of the rain on the roof of the coach would get picked up.

Joan decided it would be a good time to do laundry, so I had the place to myself... well, with Rufus, of course, but decided it would be a good time for a nap.

I set up the new mixer and ran a mic and a guitar through it and into my Spire Studio...


The bedroom of the coach has the most "soft surfaces" so that was the temporary set-up.  I am liking the new Yamaha mixer... plenty of control, but it all makes sense.

I got the second track recorded before the "outside commotion"...


That looks like a pond, but it is the road just over from our site; an obvious low point that collects water.  These two boys were already wet from the rain and riding their kick scooters through that major puddle.  It, of course, progressed... riding through it wasn't enough - they had to sit and lay in the puddle.  Then, the got some dog poop bags (there are dispensers around the pet section of the park) and filled those with water... not exactly water balloons, but the "war" was on.  Joan and I laughed - they are being boys and seemed to be having fun with the current "water feature."  It progressed to throwing their shoes across the "pond" like skipping stones.  Left to themselves, boys will be boys.

It is entertainment while I am uploading files.  Well, trying to upload.  Seems that Dropbox had been rock solid before I paid for additional storage... now that they have my money, the uploads are frequently met with "Something went wrong on our end."  Well, then fix it!

With the rain and heavy overcast, it never got out of the 60s today.  Some rumbles of thunder, but all in all, better than the weasels make it sound.  It may be a couple days before we get a change in this weather pattern.


No comments: