Monday, September 6, 2021

A hot time...

 

You ask, "Are you going to share too much information again, Jim?"

No, but thanks for asking.  It is hot in the Black Hills today; as in: 97º for a high in Rapid City.  The normal high is 80º on this date.

Not being of sound mind, I decided to go out for a solo ride today.  Being of sound mind, I asked Joan if I could take her bike: she has a cup holder that will help keep me hydrated and my new helmet allows me to actually get the HydroFlask to my mouth without taking the helmet off.  Plus, I wanted to try using the Airpod Pros on a more extending ride to see if they stay comfortable (they do); and the noise-canceling is quite nice.  Plus, plus, I wanted to take a ride through Spearfish Canyon - haven't been there yet this season.

Mostly highway and Interstate to get to Spearfish.  The new helmet is really good at highway speeds: quiet and good ventilation.  Instead of going right to the canyon, I stopped in the Spearfish City Park to hydrate with some apple slices that Joan packed for me and plenty of ice water.  I didn't bring a camera along today, but did take a couple photos with my phone...


 

I found a picnic table near the creek (Spearfish Creek), above.  Then, back to the Xmax...


The Schuberth helmet with the modular part open...


I rode through town for old time's sake.  Just like when we lived there, I got caught behind a tourist driving their motorhome about 6 miles per hour.  I zigged, then zagged to get to a different block, and a truck pulled in front of me... buy the time I got to the end of the block, yep, that motorhome was in front of me again.  In the turn lane, when the turn arrow turned green, he sat for a while before deciding to pull across the intersection at 4 miles per hour.  Yep, he was the only one who got through on that turn arrow.  Next turn cycle, I was the first one through and two blocks later I caught up with that motorhome.  Fortunately, it is 4 lanes there, so I was able to get around it.  This was a regular occurance in the summer when we lived here.

I rode through town, just to look around, then headed for the canyon.  This being a holiday, I expected plenty of traffic.  Yep.  Fortunately, the traffic was moving along at the speed limit.  On the down side, it isn't much fun to ride the speed limit (35mph) through Spearfish Canyon.  A lot of the traffic turned off at Bridal Veil Falls; most of the rest turned off at Latchstring Inn; that left about half the canyon (the part with the best curves - the first half of the canyon is the more scenic, though) with one truck in front of me, and he was obviously tired of driving the speed limit, too.  Definitely more entertaining.

Just past Cheyenne Crossing (at the other end of Spearfish Canyon), I saw a guy on a Goldwing come way too close to having a very bad day.  He was going slow as he turned onto the highway from Cheyenne Crossing, and pulled into a lane that was already occupied by a car.  When I say "close," I am talking inches.

I have to say... the roads in the southern Black Hills are more fun to ride on two wheels than most of the northern Black Hills.  I enjoyed riding through the canyon, up the highway past Terry Peak, where it cooled off to 83º, through Deadwood, and down Boulder Canyon.

Then, pretty much Interstate and highway back to Hart Ranch.  About 150 miles today.  I had a lot of fun on Joan's bike; very happy with the new helmet and the Airpod Pros as ear-plugs.

It is supposed to be a little cooler the next few days... there may have to be more riding.  :-)


No comments: